Flooring Forum - DIY and Professional > Specific Flooring Discussion > Hardwood Floors > Questions about Engineered Hardwood Flooring Installation

Help Support Flooring Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:31 PM   #11
VAer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Cement board will crumble from walking on it. It offers no structure at all. It also is NOT a vapor barrier. Wherever you buy the engineered, they can give you a list of how to install it so it will have a warranty. They made it, they know how it is supposed to be installed.
Well, 3 contractors have come for estimate, they offered very different opinions, and at least I don't trust some of them, since I feel like they try to make job easy. They don't have patient to measure the dimension accurately, and spent no more then 5 minutes on inspection, then gave me the estimate on other day. One contractor said the tile has to be removed and asked me to sign some kind of waiver to accept the possible outcome of my decision and release the responsibility from the company, if humidity permeates through the first layer of flooring which will most likely cause the new floor glue join to fail in some areas.Another contractor does not want to remove anything, not even the thin cover (broken tile in the first photo), I feel like they just want to install it for me, not going to explain anything, not even mention moisture, not care about outcome.

For questions posted on forum, I feel I can get most honest answers, although different people may have different opinions.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:34 PM   #12
VAer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
You cannot glue directly over either of those tiles. A floating floor (gluing the T&G) with T&G adhesive needs an underlayment like these that are vapor retarder/pad - same as a laminate floor but do upgrade.

http://www.hoskinghardwood.com/Depar...Id=9&pageId=75
I can glue on underlayment directly? The material can be rolled, I cannot image I can apply glue on it.

Old 06-22-2017, 06:44 PM   #13
VAer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Why not float the engineered Over the tile and vinyl?
No glue is needed? Could you please recommend a engineered wood for floating?

Thanks

Old 06-22-2017, 06:46 PM   #14
VAer

Where to buy floated engineered wood? Can I apply solid floated hardwood?

Can someone recommend some places to buy wood flooring? Local stores (Home Depot, Lowes, Lumber Liquidators) do not really have enough choices.

Thanks.

Last edited by VAer; 06-22-2017 at 07:23 PM.

Old 06-22-2017, 07:42 PM   #15
Ernesto

Liked 524 Times on 459 Posts
Likes Given: 846

You can float that Koa, anything engineered can be floated. The T&G glue is applied into the groove, then strapped together. No glue goes on the underlayment. No you cannot float solid hardwood.

Try and find a Prosource store near you. If there is one you can use my name to get in as they are not open to the general public. Message me. They carry better flooring than Lumber Liquidators. Look up complaints against lumber liquidators.

All who wonder are not lost
Floorist Likes This 
Old 06-22-2017, 08:24 PM   #16
Nick
Administrator
FF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1094 Times on 957 Posts
Likes Given: 2232

Prosource would be my first choice to .. If there is a problem with the floor ,They send someone right out to you . Try that with the others E mentioned .

Old 06-22-2017, 08:36 PM   #17
Floorist
Administrator
FF_ADMIN.png

Liked 2370 Times on 1795 Posts
Likes Given: 538

I wish there was a Prosource in my area. Closest is 100 miles. I had a deal with a local store buying at a discount, but they retired and closed.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:44 PM   #18
Nick
Administrator
FF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1094 Times on 957 Posts
Likes Given: 2232

I have a couple of Distributors here i deal with .

Old 06-22-2017, 08:49 PM   #19
Floorist
Administrator
FF_ADMIN.png

Liked 2370 Times on 1795 Posts
Likes Given: 538

Closest distributors are 100 miles. In KC I got dealer price.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:22 PM   #20
VAer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernesto View Post
You can float that Koa, anything engineered can be floated. The T&G glue is applied into the groove, then strapped together. No glue goes on the underlayment. No you cannot float solid hardwood.

Try and find a Prosource store near you. If there is one you can use my name to get in as they are not open to the general public. Message me. They carry better flooring than Lumber Liquidators. Look up complaints against lumber liquidators.
Thanks.

Question: what are pros and cons of floating, comparing to glue?

I will go to prosource and take a look at it, I have not heard of this store before. Thanks for the information.