Flooring Forum - DIY and Professional > Specific Flooring Discussion > Laminate Flooring > Creaking

Help Support Flooring Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:56 PM   #1
flacracker

Default Creaking

I had Armstrong laminate professionally installed in January. It creaked from day one. After several conversations with the installer/retailer and Armstrong, Armstrong has decided the installer needs to glue the panels together.

Any opinions on this would be appreciated.

Old 06-17-2017, 03:27 AM   #2
highup

Liked 690 Times on 581 Posts
Likes Given: 4

What is the product? Was the product brought into the home to acclimate prior to the day the installation began? ....or was the installation started immediately after they arrived?
If it creaked from day 1, I wouldn't expect that. If the material was un-acclimated. I would have expected the creaking to start a day or a week or a month later.
Give a few more details. Material name, size of the installation. (one room or the whole house) Does it creak everywhere? Was it installed over concrete or on a wood floor?

Old 06-17-2017, 11:31 AM   #3
flacracker

Armstrong. It was not acclimated in my house. The retailer said it was acclimated at the warehouse. Kitchen and hallway. The bathroom was done with same tile, but in a separate area and it does not creak. Otherwise, it creaks all over. Installed over concrete.

Old 06-17-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
DarisMulkin

Liked 358 Times on 290 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacracker View Post
Armstrong. It was not acclimated in my house. The retailer said it was acclimated at the warehouse. Kitchen and hallway. The bathroom was done with same tile, but in a separate area and it does not creak. Otherwise, it creaks all over. Installed over concrete.
Is his warehouse the same teperature and humidity level as your house? I think not.

Daris
Nick Likes This 
Old 06-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #5
Nick
Administrator
FF_ADMIN.png

Liked 858 Times on 742 Posts
Likes Given: 1802

First your house should be acclimated before they even bring the product to your house .

Second ,it has to be acclimated in your house for at least 3 days before installing it .

Old 06-17-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
highup

Liked 690 Times on 581 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flacracker View Post
I had Armstrong laminate professionally installed in January. It creaked from day one. After several conversations with the installer/retailer and Armstrong, Armstrong has decided the installer needs to glue the panels together.

Any opinions on this would be appreciated.
You said installed in January. The acclimation location being off the premises and time of year now become even more important now depending on where you live. New Mexico, New England, Florida?
In addition, if the floor wasn't flat enough and they didn't make the floor flat, then the flooring can move up and down too much causing the noise as the joints flex when you walk on them.
There are very specific tolerances for floor flatness. If you home is old and or has some "minor" or major settling issues or the floor joists are simply bowed or have settled over time, those areas should have been fixed/leveled before proceeding.

Here's Armstrong's acclimation information. Tho they say none is needed, they also give a range. So ideally, it ought to at least be stored where the temperature and humidity level falls close to the interior conditions of your home. A cold warehouse in Main, in January, would fall a long ways outside Armstrong's recommended levels.

acclimation copy.jpg  

Last edited by highup; 06-17-2017 at 05:07 PM.