Flooring Forum - DIY and Professional > Specific Flooring Discussion > Laminate Flooring > Dumb questions of the day

Help Support Flooring Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
csmott

Default Dumb questions of the day

I want to get rid of my gross carpet and replace it with hard wood. I have no skill in this area so I don't think I want to use real hardwood. First question is that prego stuff any good? Is prego considered laminate?

I have children and I want something that is going to hold up for at least 15 years. Any suggestions?

Old 10-12-2017, 03:35 PM   #2
Nick
Administrator
FF_ADMIN.png

Liked 883 Times on 765 Posts
Likes Given: 1848

Go with Hardwood . It's a 100 year Floor .

Old 10-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
csmott

I appreciate that but for me the equipment required and the skill required exceed my abilities. I was thinking laminate because I was under the impression that it would be a bit easier

Old 10-12-2017, 05:51 PM   #4
highup

Liked 715 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 4

They make click together and glue together prefinished wood flooring that's installed as a floating system like the laminates. Hardwood can scratch easier than laminates, but scratches, dings and dents in hardwood create character. In laminate flooring, (Pergo) those same things might be considered or looked upon as damage.
That said, if you see a laminate floor that's priced at $1.50 per sq foot, and another that's $4.25 per sq foot, they are not the same. The higher priced ones can be very durable and are constructed differently than the cheap ones.
Shaw, through Carpet One stores sells a hand scraped look hickory floor that is extremely tough stuff. It's a glue together floor with a composite center. (sawdust)
Our local Carpet One has that in their store from the front doorway and 50 feet into the store. It's been there 12+ years and still looks great.
It' might be a bit slower and more difficult than laminate to install because of the gluing process... mainly making sure the boards stay snugged up and don't move on you after you tap them together.