Flooring Forum - DIY and Professional > General Flooring Topics > General Flooring Discussion > Rotted subfloor, notched joist, & other problems that need repair

Old 06-19-2017, 06:37 AM   #21
Jon
FF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 98 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 249

Used to use particle board here for sub flooring but now ply is used in all wet areas with the vinyl just glued on top of the ply after sanding or similar

http://www.plywoodcity.co.nz/shop/Flooring.html

Last edited by Jon; 06-19-2017 at 06:40 AM.
zannej Likes This 
Old 06-19-2017, 04:22 PM   #22
highup

Liked 592 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
1. Would I do the floor in 2 layers like the floor in my bathroom? They did a bottom layer, then a moisture barrier with another layer of plywood on top. (It actually saved the subfloor from rotting when there was water damage to the top layer that turned to mud-- happened in the adjacent bathroom with only one layer & toilet fell through the floor with my brother on it). Or would I just use a single thick piece of plywood?
What is the current subfloor material and it's thickness? No manufacturer of vinyl flooring recommends installation over a single layer floor because of joint movement. The underlayment seams are always offset from the subfloor seams to eliminate that joint or seam movement. So yea, two layers bringing you up even with that kitchen doorway.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:30 PM   #23
Floorist
Administrator
FF_ADMIN.png

Liked 1679 Times on 1299 Posts
Likes Given: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by highup View Post
I don't know enough about treated plywood or 2X material for the subfloor, but I think most of it has the ability to discolor the vinyl over time. I'd call the manufacturer first to see if they recommend it for an interior subfloor material. I know in Hawaii they use a lot of treated wood, but I'd make sure it's OK for use as a subfloor as far as vinyl goes. Call the manufacturer about a particular product that you may use.
You are right. Treated wood can bleed through the vinyl. At least the old treated wood (arsenic treated) did a lot of times. It also stayed damp and the adhesive had trouble holding to it.
zannej Likes This 
Old 06-20-2017, 03:20 AM   #24
highup

Liked 592 Times on 496 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
You are right. Treated wood can bleed through the vinyl. At least the old treated wood (arsenic treated) did a lot of times. It also stayed damp and the adhesive had trouble holding to it.
Yup, that's why I think it's best if Zannej checks out the type of treated wood available in her area, then calls the manufacturer for more info. Maybe there's some treated stuff that will work. Never seen anything but that green smelly stuff around here, and like you said, that won't work.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:04 PM   #25
zannej

Liked 59 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 1142

Pressure treated plywood seems to be about the only kind available here. I wonder if I should use two layers of that or one layer of pressure treated on the underside and untreated with a nicer finish on the top. Still need to work out the thicknesses.

I'm not certain what thickness the subfloor currently is because the only visual I have is the edge under the door threshold-- and it's rotted.

I'm going to have to find a way to cut through and take a look-- but it will have to wait until after the tropical storm passes. I need to find the attachment for my drill that cuts holes for doorknobs or something to see if I can get a sample chunk of the floor to see thickness. I also need to figure out where the joists are located. I know they run east to west (the exterior wall with the rotting door runs north to south).

I actually need to take down a wall to get a better look at some of the floor, but I need to get my prybar back from a friend (if his meth-head father didn't steal it).

Last edited by zannej; 06-22-2017 at 08:07 PM.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:00 PM   #26
Ernesto

Liked 403 Times on 352 Posts
Likes Given: 725

Just drill a hole.

All who wonder are not lost
People Like This