Flooring Forum - DIY and Professional > General Flooring Topics > Floor Cleaning and Restoration > ? Change in floor finishes

Old 08-02-2017, 01:35 AM   #1
wmiles

Default ? Change in floor finishes

My new engineered wood floor is hickory and I love the appearance of the grain and differences seen in the wood's colors but the finish is flat. There is no sheen or gloss to the floor and I am told it has an aluminum oxide finish. Is it possible to apply a finish to the floor that results in a better floor shine, sheen, or semi gloss appearance after it has been laid down? I think I would prefer a semi gloss finish but I am unsure on what finish would be best or even possible with a pre existing aluminum oxide finish so any advice or recommendations appreciated.

Old 08-11-2017, 04:39 AM   #2
highup

Liked 626 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 4

A bit late, but I'd never try to redo a factory finish until it's worn out. Just learn to enjoy it.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:06 AM   #3
wmiles

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to adjust to the floor's finish but I personally think it would look better with a semi gloss finish. Still undecided what to do. Thanks again

Old 08-12-2017, 03:07 AM   #4
highup

Liked 626 Times on 527 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmiles View Post
Thanks for the reply. I am trying to adjust to the floor's finish but I personally think it would look better with a semi gloss finish. Still undecided what to do. Thanks again
My personal preference is a low sheen like you have. My thoughts are that the shinier the finish, the more that wear and scratching will show.
Being an engineered floor, if it's floating, or stapled down, I wonder how a new coating will respond if the wood expands or contracts during the seasons.
Engineered expands less than solid wood, so maybe not such a problem.
Next question would be if the original finish needs to be sanded or scuffed in order for another coating to adhere.
If it does need some slight scuffing or sanding.......... how flawlessy even are the exposed surface of the boards? If they are ever so slightly uneven, sanding lightly might scuff through the stain layer here and there on the edges, leaving you with another issue....... and a very expensive one.
How thick is the wear layer? (the wood itself, not the clear coat)
Does the material have a micro-bevel on the joint edges? If so, minor sanding could have dramatic effects.

I wonder if there's a polishing that can be done with a buffer? If so, the edges would probably be difficult.
I don't see easy or safe options. Maybe there are some but that's not my area so my input is just input or food for thought.
(I'd still learn to love it if it was mine) (think area rugs)