Flooring Forum - DIY and Professional > Specific Flooring Discussion > Hardwood Floors > Engineering Wood Floor - Painted White & Hand Scraped

Help Support Flooring Forum by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:15 PM   #1
jfred

Default Engineering Wood Floor - Painted White & Hand Scraped

My wife and I have been looking all over the place for the type of wood flooring we want for our living room, but can not find it anywhere. We are looking for the following:
- Finish - Hand Scraped / Painted White
- Size - Wide (5" +)
- Construction - We will be installing this in our living room which is on elevated concrete slab, so we will need an Engineered Wood Floor
- Species - We are open on ideas for species, whichever will provide the best look for the items requested (white - hand scraped) and best price.
- Square Feet - between 300 to 350 SF

All of the companies we contacted said this would be a special order, and the prices were very high.

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that has this as a 'standard' product in order provide better pricing?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance for your input.

Old 04-07-2013, 01:14 AM   #2
Ken

Liked 58 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I would push you towards Anderson Hardwood. I believe they have a knarled hickory that comes in whitewash. I also think Mullican had a whitewashed scraped oak. I could be blowing smoke though. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2013, 05:35 AM   #3
FloorMaven
Banned

Liked 89 Times on 84 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfred
We are looking for the following:
- Finish - Hand Scraped / Painted White
Do you want a painted floor or a whitewashed floor?

Old 04-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #4
jfred

Ken - I believe I saw those, but there were not white enough.

FloorMaven - I am open to either, but would prefer painted. We are looking for a very solid white.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #5
Ernesto

Liked 548 Times on 480 Posts
Likes Given: 869

Why not buy some unfinished cabin grade oak and then hand scrape it yourself, roll on some watered down paint, wipe it down, finish.

All who wonder are not lost

Old 04-07-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
jfred

Ernesto - I guess I could, I am just hoping to find a product made by professionals in order to get a better finished product.

Old 04-07-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
Ernesto

Liked 548 Times on 480 Posts
Likes Given: 869

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfred View Post
Ernesto - I guess I could, I am just hoping to find a product made by professionals in order to get a better finished product.
jfred, just seems to me that your going to be wasting money by buying a nice or higher grade of flooring than you need just to be covered up with paint. Theres an aussie who frequents the floormasters forum who came up with the idea of utilizing watered down paint to use instead of stain. It gives you a more opaque look that I think your looking for and I doubt any prefinished manufacturer makes for obvious reasons.

All who wonder are not lost

Old 04-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #8
FloorMaven
Banned

Liked 89 Times on 84 Posts

I recently did a color mock-up for a decorator/client who was considering refinishing to white. They didn't care for the opaque look either. They wanted a solid white with a distressed look but in the end they found the cost of the custom work prohibitive.

I guess the style is popular in Scandinavia so maybe look in that direction for product...I would imagine something will export out of there in the years to come.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #9
Ken

Liked 58 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 22

The only solid white floor ive seen was on a bamboo but it wasnt handscraped and you could still see the grain through the white. What about that company UrbanFloor. I see there ads alot in the hardwood floors magazine. Ive never installed their products but it might be worth looking into. They have alot of higher end looking finshes. Good Luck!

Old 04-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #10
jfred

I think I may have found what we are looking for: Provenza - Richmond Collection - Color: Savannah. Available in 6" wide planks and handscraped.

http://www.provenzafloors.com/produc...ightness=Light

I sent them a request for a sample. Any thoughts on this manufacturer? Now I'll need to find a dealer...