1970 Home Carpet removal and scared about underlay

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amandazag

First, I'd like to say thank you to everyone that takes part in forums to help people like me.
I purchased my grandfather's home that was built in 1970. Original everything. There is a black substance that is attached to the floor under the carpet I just removed. Someone said it could have asbestos. I'm now scared to death. Can anyone give me some pointers in what to do?
Thank you in advance

Attachments

• 20200625_110555.jpg
    20200625_110555.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 116
I thank you from the bottom of my heart for easing my fears. I'm usually pretty chill, but I know for a fact that I wouldn't get an ounce of sleep for the next 72( plus) hours as I wait on a test. I took a peice of this to an outfit 15 mi from town that will test the sample for 50$
I didn't know how stressed I was until I read your response. I literally felt the lump in my throat leave.
A few workers at Lowes had me scared to death..
Again, I cannot thank you enough.

Yup, it's just foam rubber.
.....and I'd ask for that $50 back because even asbestos testing people know that is just foam rubber. I can't believe they would even accept your money since it's so obvious.
It would be neat if you could show us the lab test when you get it. It would be fine to cover up the name of the testing company if you want.

Last edited:
Without even looking at the sample they told me it was "probably asbestos" . I feel TONS better after hearing yalls professional opinions. I'm more than happy to share the results. They told me it would be Wednesday before I get the results back. Stay tuned .....
(And again, thank youđź’›)

Thank you back. From the photo, the material looks like soft foam rubber. Is that a good description? If that's what it is, it's probably 1/8 of an inch thick or thereabouts.
What is the surface under the black stuff?

Latest posts

Back