3/4" Hardwood Flooring

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mustang64

Can someone please suggest what the maximum width in solid flooring they would recommend without worrying about cupping 3"-4"??

I know engineered flooring is the next alternative.
I live in Toronto, Canada. Hot humid summers and cold winters.

Paolo

Cupping occurs when the bottom of a floor board has a higher moisture content than the top of a floor board. A common scenario is when the floor is above a basement or crawlspace which is at a higher humidity level than the room above. Any width solid hardwood can have problems if the relative humidity is not maintained within a certain range year round....but as you know narrower floors boards will be less susceptible to problems if relative humidity is less than ideal. You should decide if you will be willing to maintain the recommended relative humidity levels year round. Also, flooring species is a factor too. Any friends or neighbors have hardwood flooring? If so, see what they have and what their experience has been.

Question: When changing the direction of the flooring where is it best to stop at doorways?? At the front of door on the outside of it??
Please advise.

It's best to stop in the middle of the doorway so that when the door is closed you don't see the direction change under the door. What you see when on either side of the closed door is flooring that runs in the same direction as the rest of the flooring in the room you are in.

Thank you for your response.
In my hallway at the top of my stairs I plan on running the boards parallel to my stair treads..leading into three bedrooms, one on either side and one in front, would you recommend changing the direction of the flooring for the bedrooms??

Can you post a diagram? Depending on the subfloor and joist spacing it may be best to run the flooring perpendicular to the floor joists. If this is not an issue then there are a few other consideration: aesthetics e.g. running all the flooring in the same direction, transitions or flush headers in each doorway which become important if you want to refinish one room and have a boundary stop point.

Latest posts

Back