3/4" T&G Board Replacement

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyt8888

I've just laid a 3/4" hickory solid wood floor with glue assist on 3/4" plywood using staples and Loctite urethane adhesive applied in a serpentine pattern.

In another thread I was advise to save 5% or so extra flooring in the event board replacements are needed. My question is since the floor is glued down, how would I replace a board or a section of flooring without destroying the subfloor?

Thanks.

The short answer is you don't. The longer answer is that a wee bit of sub-floor removal (damage) is easy enough to compensate for and much more pleasing visually than it is to have damaged hardwood. Plywood fills as easily as it flakes.

The honest truth is that most people will never do a board replacement on their hardwood, but it sure sucks when you cannot ;)

Just have to go slow at it. A multi tool, hammer & chisel will be the best way. Just cut it up in small pieces and chisel it out flush with the subfloor.
It's time consuming but can be done. And like Mark said, you'll most likely never have to do it but at least you'll have some material just in case.

I don't do a lot of board replacements but I do enough of them. Most all of them are from furniture/appliance delivery. The delivery folk don't really care about your floor. Just getting whatever their dropping off where it has to go and get the hell out of there.

Latest posts

Back