3/4" used hardwood over multiple layers of flooring

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPO-C

Hi,

I have a very old home and am trying to get a hardwood floor down before our newest child is born (in the next couple weeks).

The layers of the floor are many, here they are from the top-down:

thin sheet vinyl floor
1/2" underlayment (not sure if particle board, but some sort of particle board-like sheet material)
thin sheet vinyl floor
3/4" T&G Hardwood (2 1/4" wide)
wider plank hardwood subloor (~6" wide)

The vinyl and underlayment are all glued to each other, and it's glued to the original t&g. Due to asbestos concerns, limited availability to have my family leave for an extended time, and my own limited time to do this project, I am strongly considering nailing down used 3/4" T&G hardwood (2 1/4" wide) over the existing floor layers.

I am expecting many to say this is not the best idea, but I am in a less than ideal situation, and am looking for a way to make this work, if it can. Tearing up the glued down flooring isn't an option in my current situation, and since I already have the hardwood to lay down, I don't want to re-invest in floating engineered or laminate, etc.

My thought is that if I use 2" nails, it will get through the first three layers and into the original T&G hardwood. Does this make sense, am I missing anything? Are there any other thoughts on how I can make this work? Are their any fasteners longer than 2" that can be used with a floor nailer?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm a handy person but am new to flooring.

Thanks!

download.jpg

Hi Terry , Due to the angle of the staple , Not all that much of the staple goes into the flooring .. I would rip up some flooring ..

Main thing to do is acclimate your house so the wood can acclimate to it's environment..

Others will be posting soon to advise you further ..

Thanks for the tip. Here are two thoughts I'm having:

1. Could I glue down old 3/4" t&g flooring? It's birch that's at least 80 years old. Should I glue and staple? Just right on top of the vinyl?

2. I'm considering sacrificing some height and putting down a 1/4" plywood subfloor on top of what's already on the floor. Is that adequate for nail down, and do I just screw it in to the existing layers?

Thanks!

If you are nailing over a tongue & grove floor you need to install plywood over it , unless you install it on a 45 degree ..

Nailing pattern for plywood is every one inch around the edges , and every 4 - 6" in the field .. You don't need to glue & nail..

Nailing pattern for 2 1/4 " wood is one staple 1-2" at ends , and every 10 - 12" along the board ..

I would use 1/2 " OSB, Or Plywood .. You need to check the sub floor for flatness first .. 1/8 " in 6', or 3/16" in 10'

Thanks for all the input. I'm going to put down 7/16" OSB for the underlayment, and am planning on using #6 1 -5/8 wood screws to secure it.

What length fasteners should I use for the 3/4" flooring when I put it down? There will be the new 3/4" hardwood, the 7/16" OSB, approx 1/2" of vinyl/particle board, then the old 3/4" hardwood.

I guess I'm trying to determine if getting through the OSB will be 'enough' or should I try to get down to the old hardwood, too?

Rent a Flooring nailer from Home Depot .. takes a 2" staple ..
Nailing pattern for 2 1/4 " wood is one staple 1-2" at ends , and every 10 - 12" along the board ..

Yep, I'm borrowing one from a neighbor, thanks for the nailing pattern.

I think my last concern is if I come across damaged tongues in the flooring. I know the best practice would be to use them for scrap or toss them, but if I need to use them, would face nailing in the area where the tongue is damaged be enough to keep it secure?

I appreciate the help, and will post an update/results, hopefully by the end of this week!

The problem with the missing tongue is that's what holds the groove side of the next board down. May want to consider a face nail in the adjacent board.

Just an update, I was able to complete the floor and it looks great! The original finish on the used hardwood is actually great, but I'm still going to refinish it in a couple months... there's the occasional ridge between two pieces, and I'd like any gaps to be sealed, etc.

Thanks for all the help! Now onto tiling the entryway. First time doing that, too. (will likely make a new thread about that).

Thanks again,

Terry

Latest posts

Back