6’ goods stored on end

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSLI

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Pro
Nephew needed help standing up 6’ goods for vertical storage. Previous warehouse workers used a rope lift, but I had an idea using a hand truck.

Attachments

• CC1DF88F-C0C1-43B1-BE3D-3A2EF748EC8F.jpeg
    CC1DF88F-C0C1-43B1-BE3D-3A2EF748EC8F.jpeg
    300.9 KB · Views: 71
  • B496DC40-25F7-4B30-9FDF-D0CD2CC0866B.jpeg
    B496DC40-25F7-4B30-9FDF-D0CD2CC0866B.jpeg
    303 KB · Views: 65
That’s how you avoid roll crush. We would use ratchet straps to strap the rolls to something for safety purposes when we had to stand them up on a job site. The warehouse would have them standing up against the wall with a safety chain that prevented them from falling on someone.

Gundlach #4 lino truck.

Beno | Beno J. Gundlach, Co.

We use ours here by tilting the cart to horizontal, setting the roll on the cart with a pole and then standing the cart up. Since it's up about waist high when it's horizontal it's not nearly as bad as lifting them flat off the floor to stand them up. Plus the wheels and such make it easier to tilt because you have better leverage.

Before we had one of these we were loading a truck one night many years ago and we needed to stand some 6' rolls up to make floor space on the truck for pallets. Myself and another gentleman were standing the rolls up and his hand slipped when we had one about half way up and I instinctively try to catch the roll and came down awkwardly on my foot and broke the long bone in my foot in two places. I haven't done it without the cart since then.

We both work in the office now so I don't do anything like that much anymore. But whenever I need someone to grab my lunch I start mentioning how the arthritis in my foot is acting up and he'll usually volunteer to grab lunch for me while he's out. ;) :p

Gundlach #4 lino truck.

Beno | Beno J. Gundlach, Co.

We use ours here by tilting the cart to horizontal, setting the roll on the cart with a pole and then standing the cart up. Since it's up about waist high when it's horizontal it's not nearly as bad as lifting them flat off the floor to stand them up. Plus the wheels and such make it easier to tilt because you have better leverage.

Before we had one of these we were loading a truck one night many years ago and we needed to stand some 6' rolls up to make floor space on the truck for pallets. Myself and another gentleman were standing the rolls up and his hand slipped when we had one about half way up and I instinctively try to catch the roll and came down awkwardly on my foot and broke the long bone in my foot in two places. I haven't done it without the cart since then.

We both work in the office now so I don't do anything like that much anymore. But whenever I need someone to grab my lunch I start mentioning how the arthritis in my foot is acting up and he'll usually volunteer to grab lunch for me while he's out. ;) :p
This is why I lift rolls alone. I know it isnt easy and not even everyone can do it, but if I have to worry about me, you and that roll... that is just too much. So many times people will offer help and then look dumbfounded when I say no but the fact of the matter is that it is a foolish thing to do and only gets worse when there are two of you.

In order of importance to me of all things in the world.

ME
You
Someone else
Other shit

Latest posts

Back