a little complex floor direction/layout issue

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tookien

I have a little more complex situation but trying to simplify it.

I have 3 different hardwood floor panels nail down that needs to be installed.

All are 3/4 thickness and will lock but are different widths (one is 7 inch width, one is 4 inch and another is 5 inch)

I want to make it as seamless as possible and in one direction, but I'm not sure.

The picture shows the floor panels marked in a different color and the direction it could take.

I prefer the one on the right side (in one direction), but I want to try to make it seamless from one floor panel to another.

*EDIT: I thought about a more specific question.
would it be wrong if I took the green flooring into the rooms a little more so I can then branch off with the other flooring panels more seamlessly?

What I would like is basically to install all three types of flooring (same thickness, locks together but different widths) seamlessly in one go or pass in the layout presented with the hallway and the three rooms.

Hopefully someone can give me some suggestions, thank you.

ttt.jpeg

Attachments

• ttt.jpeg
    ttt.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Which way do the joists run? Boards should run across the joists.

The colors represent the different widths? Prefinished? If so I don’t see how you could do it seamlessly? If the different widths we’re installed randomly throughout then you could do it seamlessly.

If my choice I would use the drawing on the right. Personally I don’t care for the look of a wood floor installed on a 45. I would not like all those different angles either but I generally let the customer decide if they want it on a 45.

I would not run different width boards partially into a room. I know you don’t want seams or transitions and I agree if all the boards were the same width but in this situation, if it were my choice, I would put seams or saddles under each door.

P.S. 7” boards scare me on a nail down. Cupping can become a problem with solid hardwood. Even 5” boards can be an issue if moisture or humidity are present.

Last edited:
Doing it is not a problem. Should you is another question. Usually you have to double up the thickness of your subfloor so the hardwoods don’t dip between the joists but I’ll leave those details for another post.

Basically if you want to run the boards different directions in different rooms yet still have them connect to each other you’ll will have to cut and spline them so they can meet up with each other. Same thing if you were to use a header board. It’s a bit of work but definitely doable.

yeah thanks for the info. Really good suggestions from both.

I thought about it some more. And it seems like the main issue is the room I marked, that little pocket area behind the door on the angle is the entire problem here.

the subfloor is a 3/4 plywood and I found that the boards will run perpendicular to the joists running them horizontally as in the picture below (I got it wrong on the right picture about vertical direction being the right way).

ttttt.jpeg

I am fine with running a small part of the "green" boards into that room in order to normalize and square it off for the other board. The color of the floor is relatively the same across all 3 boards, so I'm not too worried it will look weird.

Thanks again, appreciate it.

Last edited:
Same thing applies, you’ll have to find out where a specific board ends in a doorway then cut and spline it. Not being on a 45 definitely makes things easier. I suppose you could start at the green/ red doorway and install the red room backwards (not really after you spline it) after splining it at the doorway. Then you would have to cut and spline a green board to line up in the correct doorway spot to meet up with the blue room. It’s all doable, just take your time and work it out ahead of time and you’ll save time when it comes to actually installing the flooring.

Same thing applies, you’ll have to find out where a specific board ends in a doorway then cut and spline it. Not being on a 45 definitely makes things easier. I suppose you could start at the green/ red doorway and install the red room backwards (not really after you spline it) after splining it at the doorway. Then you would have to cut and spline a green board to line up in the correct doorway spot to meet up with the blue room. It’s all doable, just take your time and work it out ahead of time and you’ll save time when it comes to actually installing the flooring.

thanks.

Based on your advice, I think what I might do is measure the green between the blue and the red with the boards, so the green board doesn't end up running passed into the blue room.
Setup the first board starting at the red room passed at the first "square off" point with a double spline.
And install the boards backwards in the red room like you said.
Then start running the green boards down and reverse direction at the upper room and hall.

Just like you said, it should be planned out.

Thanks again for the advice.

Latest posts

Back