A Successful KoolGlide Experiment!

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulLynch

Here's an experiment I did the other day....
I was working in a rural area, miles away from the workshop.
I had no sewing gear and no suitable glue on board and I found I had a concrete step with a curve on it which I had to install carpet on conventionally.......
Hmmmm....
I found I had some of the KoolGlide utility tape? I think that's what it's called - the one with the peel off sticky backing...
Anyway, I thought I'd give it a whirl, nothing to lose and all that.
The pics show that not only was it successful, it was very easy to do!
Whaddya reckon?

022.jpg

024.jpg

Photo0198.jpg

Photo0199.jpg

Photo0201.jpg

I have to say very smart Paul very smart indeed looks good, just wish the NICF would endorse the koolglide here, sadly though they're sticking by their guns at the mo with heat seam and stitching.

I have to say very smart Paul very smart indeed looks good, just wish the NICF would endorse the koolglide here, sadly though they're sticking by their guns at the mo with heat seam and stitching.

What's NICF?
I don't think anyone should be able to tell anyone which tools they can and can't use!!

Just for the record, I am amazed at just how sticky that utility tape is!!
That concrete step was quite 'rough and bumpy' and the tape stuck like '&%*# to a blanket'.
Probably better than a contact glue, and I suspect maybe even a bit quicker.
More expensive though, I'm not sure.

What's NICF?
I don't think anyone should be able to tell anyone which tools they can and can't use!!

Paul NICF is our federation here National Institute of Carpet Fitters, summit like that and they won't endorse the use of the Koolglide and see it as a pointless piece of equipment. I love it no smoke no poisoness fumes to breath in. Trouble is if they won't approve it I can't use it cause if I get a failing thats what they'll blame. So until they can be swayed I've gotta stick with my old iron.

Twomly - That seems rather ridiculous to me and probably many other people.
While I wouldn't say the KoolGlide is far superior to the iron, it definitely achieves better seam results.
It is also, as I have proven, very versatile!
Try doing what I did on that step with a heat bond iron!
Who's the boss of this NICF? I'd bet he's an old codger who disputed the use of a heat bond iron when it was first introduced lol.
Either that or he distributes irons and heat bond tape!

Floorist - Thanks, just goes to show with just a little thought before charging in some quite clever things can be acheived!

Latest posts

Back