Adhesive advice

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J0hnny

Hi, I’m looking to lay a solid oak floor, 18mm thick, 90mm wide . It’ll be going onto a p5 chipboard floor that’s solid, sound and perfectly level. It’s been glued and screwed to the joists. I was going for for the glue down method, probably liquid battens and was wondering what adhesive you good people would recommend?

Hello, thank you for replying. From my research of this forum nailing is not appropriate in chipboard so I have opted to secret screw using the lost tite screw at the correct angle, using liquid battens from sausages in a gun. There’s a lot of different makes of glue and I was looking for a recommendation, currently considering the Elka brand. They sell a kit with the sausage’s and gun together which is reasonably priced.

I just googled p5 chip board. That’s particle board. Haven’t heard it called p5 yet, learn something every day I guess.

If you’re not supposed to nail into particle board, what’s to say that gluing it won’t fail when the wood wants to expand and contract more than particle board does? And if you knew you were going to install a hardwood floor, why did you choose particle board for an underlayment? I know these are just questions and not an answer for your situation, prolly because I don’t like the answer to the question which is what’s the best way to jimmy rig this job.

I think anything you decide to do to fasten the hardwood (nail, screw, glue or glue assist) will be a crap shoot.

Yes it’s particle board, p5 is a classification for moisture resistant. I didn’t have the intention to put hardwood in at the start, it was always going to be carpet, hence the p5, it’s a popular sub floor in the UK. Even if I used plywood, surely that would expand and contact the same as hardwood. Everywhere I’ve sought advice, it can be glued to chipboard no problem. If not what are my options?

Here in the US particle board is not an approved underlayment for any hard surfaces. It's used for making cheap furniture.

If it is indeed a suitable subfloor in your area I would contact the manufacturer of whatever material your installing and see what they recommend for adhesive/ proper installation method over particle board?

They should know how to install their own products over whatever you have going on.

I'm not familiar with the grading of particle board. Plywood doesn't expand much by design. Particle board expands equally in all directions. It does not move the same as a wood floor. Solid wood planks do not move hardly at all in length you have to particle board can expand that direction. Solid wood flooring can move a lot in width.
If your home is heated the same day and night year round and the humidity is control also, you might not have any trouble at all as long as the wood is acclimated. Personally I would say an engineered wood floor would be the only way to go to have some sort of confidence.

Thank you for all your replies, P5 structural grade chipboard is fairly stable and moisture resistant, there’s also a grade higher that can be left outside unfitted for 60 days and then indefinitely when fitted, as long as it’s fitted as per manufacturer instructions. Things have moved on in that respect, it allows dwellings to be brought up to certain levels without the roof on. I have contacted, as you have mentioned for advice and that is flexible adhesive, hence the original post on recommended brands. I’ve gone for Sika

I'm not familiar with the grading of particle board. Plywood doesn't expand much by design. Particle board expands equally in all directions. It does not move the same as a wood floor. Solid wood planks do not move hardly at all in length you have to particle board can expand that direction. Solid wood flooring can move a lot in width.
If your home is heated the same day and night year round and the humidity is control also, you might not have any trouble at all as long as the wood is acclimated. Personally I would say an engineered wood floor would be the only way to go to have some sort of confidence.

What he said…

Perhaps they make chipboard better in England than here in the states. Personally I would never install a solid wood over it. The reasons are many as stated above. Engineered wood is the way to go.

Latest posts

Back