Adhesive for repairing snag

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
About a month ago I did a carpet job with some patterned loop pile carpet. The customer went on vacation so I couldn't complete the stairs. The carpeting was vacuumed carefully and we put the furniture back in place.
There is about an inch tall loop of yarn sticking up in one spot between the dining area and the living room. It wasn't there when we left. What is the best adhesive to use to reinsert a loop or two, or maybe three.
What adhesive works best, something that won't wick its way up the yarn as you're maneuvering it back into place? Why yes of course the carpet is white, why do you ask? Not such a big deal if you can part the yarns, use a needle to deposit a single drop and then snip off the loop that is sticking up. This is more like a quarter inch area that will need three, maybe four loops tucked into the backing.

I used the hot melt repair tip from Taylor tools. It is a very small tube and fits right down in the hole, but you want to be quick using itas the hotmelt dries quickly. Make sure to clean whatever you are using to poke the yarn in between each poke. Another method would be to use a needle that you air up basket balls. Metal tip works the best. Break off tip at the end and it will screw onto a sealer bottle then either latex or seam sealer. I think I'd try the seam sealer as it dries quicker and stronger, my opinion. Other than that sew it in using a curve needle to go across the base of the yarn.

I used the hot melt repair tip from Taylor tools. It is a very small tube and fits right down in the hole, but you want to be quick using itas the hotmelt dries quickly. Make sure to clean whatever you are using to poke the yarn in between each poke. Another method would be to use a needle that you air up basket balls. Metal tip works the best. Break off tip at the end and it will screw onto a sealer bottle then either latex or seam sealer. I think I'd try the seam sealer as it dries quicker and stronger, my opinion. Other than that sew it in using a curve needle to go across the base of the yarn.
Confused about "latex or seam sealer" isn't that the same thing?

Confused about "latex or seam sealer" isn't that the same thing?
As my memory serves real latex is more like liquid rubber. Kinda stretchy and sticky when it dries. It would stick to itself too when dry. I used it more for buttering the edges on Axministers and Wiltons. It would wipe right off your fingers when it dried but stuck well to anything absorbent. Manufacturers used to use it to adhere the secondary backing on tufted goods back when the secondary backing was jute. Carpet was so soft and nice to install back then. Got too expensive I guess. Hard to even find it these days.

Today the white seam sealer many refer to as latex has a texture closer to Elmer’s glue, I used that primarily for sealing the edges when gluing down continuous filament goods. I guess if you had to you could use it on woven goods but real latex is so much nicer to work with….

As I recall…😎

For repairing a loose tuft I’d use either one. That tiny tip on a glue gun sounds cool too.

Trying to sew in a single loop or tuft sounds pretty tricky, I’d use glue.

Last edited:
One thing about hot melt is it dries in seconds.
That tiny tip on a glue gun sounds cool too.
Latex and seam sealer are to me 2 differnt animals. Latex is Styrene butydine rubber-Seam sealer is used on glue downs, the honey flavored stuff. Today what is called latex is acryllic, basically plastic, to me. Rub that on you fingers and it just keeps rubbing around, latex balls up. Rub some on the hair of your arm and you will instantly tell the difference. Eyebrows work good also, we used to do that back in the day.

Real latex has been Unobtainium here for 25 plus years.
Latex turns coffee colored over time. That's not good with a low profile looped pile white carpet . Suppliers won't order what installers won't buy. Orcon is it.

What about condoms?
They didn’t mention condoms specifically but I’m guessing we can’t use those in our ice cream parlor either…😂

Two years ago they outlawed plastic straws in all restaurants. Have to be paper or some biodegradable product. No plastic to go bags either. Plastic cups, spoons, and giant garbage bags are ok though. So is all the plastic wrap they ship everything in… I guess it‘s just the straws that are destroying the planet…🤪

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back