Adhesive Question

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tempgal

I've taken delivery on Somerset SolidPlus Color Plank Engineered Wood Flooring. Have not yet ordered the adhesive. Instructions on the boxes recommend Somerset 25, Somerset 47, or Somerset 50 adhesive but I cannot find a comparison of these products, so I don't know which to buy. Installation will be directly on concrete. Location is in Southwest Florida where summer rains and poor drainage can exceed all expectations. Have never had a moisture problem but others in my community have, so in an abundance of caution I want to buy adhesive with a good moisture barrier. Can anyone straighten me out on which Somerset adhesive or suggest an alternative for the job? Thanks.

Have you tried calling technical services.
Yes. It turns out that Somerset no longer makes adhesive but they were still using cartons that had those instructions printed. They would not give me a specific recommendation. Just said "any high quality" adhesive. So, I still need advice.

Always best to go with the manufacturer’s recommendation. It’s usually a requirement to maintain the warranty. Ordinarily wherever you buy the flooring would also sell you the adhesive. Unusual that they would say “any adhesive”.

Unless there's a vapor barrier there's always moisture coming up through concrete. You'd probably never notice it because it evaporates as soon as it gets to the surface. Once you cover the floor or cap it with some product then the moisture can start building up and collecting. That's why it's extremely important to get a good adhesive, one that can effectively stop or slow moisture emissions to a point where the wood floor will work.
You'd also want to have the floor very clean, meaning drywall mud or paint on the floor. You want the adhesive properties to do their magic with the concrete, not with overspray and drywall mud residue. You also want to use the correct trowel for the brand of adhesive you're using.

Latest posts

Back