Advice needed, refinishing hardwood floor, dog urine

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Kern

Our living room and hallways have hardwood floors installed probably in 1970s. Our two dogs, being alone on weekdays and roam at night, have ruined large spots of the floor. Their urine has eaten through the sealant/polyurethane. We now plan to sand the entire floor down, and refinish them. But, not being someone that knows this field well, after I've done all this work, I don't want the new floors ruined, of course. Is there a magic polyurethane that blocks urine? Don't laugh.... Thanks, Steve

download.jpg
Sorry ,No.. polyurethane is not water proof..

It is not water proof ! ever look at the heads of a bowling alley lane .. see how black the heads are .. That is from oiling the lanes every day ..

I guess I should have asked: Is there anything I can apply to my newly sanded hardwood floor that will prevent my pets' urine from eating through it, and therefore destroying it again.

Nothing that i know of .. Been doing it going on 45 years now .. Maybe putting them in the yard , or in a cage when you are not there ..

Latest posts

Back