Am I screwed here???

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KWBuilder

Hello! Well we have been in the midst of a glue down vinyl plank flooring project. The upstairs went smooth and moving on to the main level now. It has what I believe is called an engineered laminate wood on it now. It seems the installers glued it down with liquid nails. The underlayment has been nailed, stapled and glued as well. Needless to say I’m in a real pickle! I’m trying to pry the laminate off with a wrecking bar and a heat gun. It still just wants to splinter and break and is probably gonna take me several weeks at this rate! Does anyone have any tricks or ideas that I might try? I’m hoping to just get this top layer off and just put down new underlayment over that if I can do it without destroying the underlayment that’s already there. Please please please tell me we’re not screwed!!! Thanks in advance!!

Attachments

• BDBE1D68-86AE-4C23-909C-D9BE5CFCA9B8.jpeg
    BDBE1D68-86AE-4C23-909C-D9BE5CFCA9B8.jpeg
    363 KB · Views: 181
  • 258A41F4-67BB-4A4C-AA28-82A2C8FDEB88.jpeg
    258A41F4-67BB-4A4C-AA28-82A2C8FDEB88.jpeg
    271.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 51E8C653-F042-480A-80ED-05B8851B6113.jpeg
    51E8C653-F042-480A-80ED-05B8851B6113.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 164
Are you talking about laying a vinyl product like Karndean which is a vinyl product with a full spread of glue?
As I am in New Zealand and lay vinyl I would like to see if we are on the same page
https://www.karndean.com/en-nz/floors/designflooring-ranges/da-vinciMaybe I would fill the areas you have lifted with a product like ply to bring the floor up to the correct height then cover the whole area with a concrete type smoothing compound. This could work as long as the area you are trying to lift is not loose in anyway
Then lay your 2m? new vinyl floor
Someone who is "local" to you will come along soon with other options

Last edited:
Thanks for the fast reply! Attached is a pic of what I’m putting down. It’s a glue down vinyl plank. I was hoping to just take up the flooring that's already there and put down new underlayment but that’s not looking to be possible. Are you saying I could piece back in what I tore up then go over it with like a leveling compound and smooth it out and go right over that? I would be fine with doing that if it will work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 172
I would be looking at using ply about the same thickness, even a couple of layers to bring what you have lifted to the correct height after cutting the area you have lifted into reasonable straight lines with maybe an old blade in a skill saw, as you could cover a larger area without too many pieces. I would not even think about trying to use what you have lifted
I have laid vinyl flooring over all different types of flooring, ceramic tiles etc etc
I would use a product like Feather Finish or similar as I am not really sure of your product names
The other guys must be working
Do you want me to come and help as I am bored?
I just remembered we are in lock down here and not allowed to leave the house unless we are getting food :)

Last edited:
Yep we are on lockdown as well!😂 I have some various plywood and such I can fix the part I started to tear up so that’s no problem. I have some compound (pic below) that I used on a couple uneven seems upstairs. If I use that to repair any imperfections in the flooring that is there, it would be safe to glue right over it and lay the new floor? It’s about my only hope unless I ripped it all up down to the joists and I have no desire at all to do that. 😬

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 182
Dont know Mapei or Ardex products really
I use a local brands with a "thicker" sand with an additive similar to this as I believe the additive gives it more "stick" on surfaces which do not absorb well
https://www.lookfloors.co.nz/product/463/ardex-arditex-na-self-levelling-and-smoothing-compoundAlso you would need to cover the whole area with a reasonable thick coat of smoothing product so the glue has something to dry into. Thats why I like a product with a thicker type sand
You need a floor of which if it was a wall you would paint it, consider a glass like finish. Every tiny imperfection will mirror through your new floor

It's labor intensive, but try cutting the wood into 1 1/2" strips with a Skillsaw, then prying up smaller strips instead of full planks. An air chisel might help with those narrow strips.
Air chisels come in short blow and long blow versions. Long blow chisels are more powerful and a bit more
expensive but worth it.
If you are street smart with auto engines, it's like comparing a Chevy 283 small block to a 455 big block.
https://www.homedepot.com/b/Tools-A...ccessories-Air-Tools-Air-Hammers/N-5yc1vZc9ncBest place to buy one is at a second hand store or pawn shop.

Last edited:
Two crowbars and a circular saw—-watch the depth on the saw—-the material will dictate the width of the cuts—-be prepared for one foot or even six inch cuts/—you should get real good at it about the time you get done

Latest posts

Back