Anybody done this?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't ever recall doing that but I do recall installing some thin cheap vinyl tiles in a loft in an A-frame home. Customer loved it. When I stopped in at the shop on Monday I returned one extra box that wasn't used. Come to find out that extra box was the only box that was the right color.
I told the shop owner that the customer was very happy, so he just waited for them to call if they weren't happy with it. They never did.

I didn't tear out the wrong house but installed it in the wrong house twice.

Daris I hope it was two different houses and not the same one twice? :)
Years ago working for a large flooring company the layers got the wrong house several times as in those days the different builders in a new subdivision on the same road used Lot Numbers so each different builder had lot 1 lot 2 lot 3 etc instead of street numbers with the key always left in the power meter box so it was quite easy to get the wrong house if there was nobody around

The closest I've ever gotten is bringing the material into the house and having the customer tell me it was not the right stuff. I can actually only think of that happening one time but I'm sure it's more.
...... No wait when I was working with my brother we did put in the wrong material. There were two grades of this carpet. It was 50 mi out of town of course. The homeowner wanted a carpet put in by a certain date because he wanted someone to come set up his grand piano.
A week later when we stopped in at the shop we were told we installed the wrong carpet. The homeowner even watched us install the carpet.😳
A couple of weeks later we went down and replaced the carpet..... yes, of course the piano was in the room. 👏. My arms were just the right length so that I could crawl under the piano and one leg at a time, arch my back and push off the floor with my hands and back and barely lift one leg off the ground so my brother could pull the carpet out from underneath it. Same thing for getting the carpet back underneath it. That was harder. How in the heck did I forget that job. 🤔

My arms were just the right length so that I could crawl under the piano and one leg at a time, arch my back and push off the floor with my hands and back and barely lift one leg off the ground so my brother could pull the carpet out from underneath it. Same thing for getting the carpet back underneath it. That was harder. How in the heck did I forget that job. 🤔
My friend and I did the same thing lifting a baby grand, only thing was 2 of the legs fell off as soon as it came off the ground and that left 1 leg and the foot peddles and knowing we couldn't let it down as it would break off the peddles. You never seen anyone work so fast in your life trying to get the legs back on. You know that was back in the early 70's and I think I can still drive to that house.

My brother just told me about one he helped the guy with. To identical homes with different carpets got put in the wrong ones. They were new units at a local Indian housing nearby.
He just switched the yard signs......
... Problem solved. 😁

We did underlayment and kitchen vinyl in the wrong house. Store gave us like 100th terrace, should have been 100th street. Tract houses, so all the same size and it was unlocked. No one ever went and explained to the people who got the new kitchen. Store owner was afraid he would get sued.

We have been in the wrong house, however that is as far as it got. I am guilty of placing the wrong "bathroom vinyl" in the wrong bathroom. This is a highlight i can easily make for sales folks to clearly label work orders. It is not so much to ask.

Latest posts

Back