Appliances and floating floors?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jpohls

We are just about to begin on a kitchen remodel and we will be using Forbo Marmoleum click together tiles. No where in their installation instructions do they discuss any special treatment at the appliance areas. This is a material that many would consider DIY product as it is a tounge and groove click together system. We have chosen a complicated pattern on the diagonal so a professional will be hired. I have been a little concerned reading about floating floors having problems once they are pinned down by heavy appliances and not allowed to expand and contract fully. I originally thought the entent would be to evtend the flooring material into the void areas for the refer, stove and dishwasher locations. The flooring is being scribed to all cabinets and walls. Should the flooring be decoupled underneath the appliances from the rest of the flooring? Perhaps a T moulding just back out of sight below the appliances splitting off the appliance area and continue the flooring but have it no longer able to pin down the main floor area? We are also not planning on any transitions between rooms. Am I over thinking this? and it will not be a problem just running continuous flooring into those areas? I have attached a layout

Attachments

• flooring colorspecifications.pdf
    406.4 KB · Views: 235
If it's going to be scribed to the walls and cabinets there won't be any expansion anywhere.
I have never installed Marmoleum tiles, so I'd call their tech line about an expensive installation like this one. Ask if there's a way to show them your layout as it's not possible to describe it. I don't know what they require, if any for expansion. If expansion is required, you can add a simple base shoe molding painted to match the base. That, or just remove the base.... even if it gets expensive.
Don't let what you want, override what they require.

If it's going to be scribed to the walls and cabinets there won't be any expansion anywhere.
I have never installed Marmoleum tiles, so I'd call their tech line about an expensive installation like this one. Ask if there's a way to show them your layout as it's not possible to describe it. I don't know what they require, if any for expansion. If expansion is required, you can add a simple base shoe molding painted to match the base. That, or just remove the base.... even if it gets expensive.
Don't let what you want, override what they require.
Highup, Little clarification. When I say scribe to walls and cabinets I mean there will be expansion space covered by a base shoe molding at these locations..

Highup, Little clarification. When I say scribe to walls and cabinets I mean there will be expansion space covered by a base shoe molding at these locations..
Ok that helps. We normally use the term scribe to.... meaning to fit to or butt against a finished surface.
One thing I have done when the weight of an appliance is a concern is to lay down a couple strips of 3 to 6 mil plastic under the appliance. No need to go wall to wall in the area, but let's say, 3 to 6 inch wide strips where the legs or rollers are..... where the weight is.
If you have ever stood on some heavy weight black vinyl sheeting that was folded over on itself, you will know has slippery this is when placed two layers..... heck, go three if you want or spray silicone on them. Go off the deep end like I do. 😁
Anyway just cut two strips of plastic for the left legs and two for the right side of the appliance, the lay them in place right before the flooring is snapped together.

Last edited:
I'm not a professional but have installed several free floating click lock type of flooring, and have just installed it everywhere in the kitchen, then afterwards, just reinstalled the appliances. I've never had an issue with buckling.

Latest posts

Back