Backerboard over cement?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanjo

Hello all!

I am thinking about attempting to install ceramic tiling in my kitchen. It currently has vinyl flooring, which is glued to a particle wood foundation. I was thinking of taking up the vinyl (or not), and installing 1/4" backer board, upon which I'll lay my tile.

Here's my problem. The kitchen is the front entrance to my house. The front door (which leads directly into the kitchen) is located on a small extension, where my laundry machine and water heater are located. It is all connected, so I would need the same flooring throughout. However, the base of this front extension is concrete slab. Thus, the vinyl flooring is laid over concrete slab at the front door, which transitions to wood subflooring in the kitchen. (This is difficult to explain clearly).

My problem is, if I place backer board over the particle wood subfloor, I don't believe I'd be able to attach it to the concrete slab at the front, thus making it uneven.

Should I place the tile directly on the particle board and the concrete slab, thus making it even. Or should I just live with a quarter inch gap between the area with backer board and where the tile is placed directly on the concrete slab? Or should I just bite the bullet and let a professional deal with it?

Latest posts

Back