Backing hard to remove off Peel and Stick

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pearsth

I had installed peel and stick vinyl wood planks in my basement about 5-6 years ago. I left a section carpeted but bought enough flooring to cover it all.

The extra flooring sat in the garage for those years. Garage was attached, but not heated or cooled. I took them inside and let them sit for a week to get to the same temp as the house inside.

The problem is that it is hard to peel the backing off. I did one box and about 2 out of all the tiles actually peeled off like they should. For the rest, I have to peel very slow and the paper snaps often and is hard to get off.

I am using a heat gun to first heat the backing, then peel slowly, but at this rate it is taking me 5-10 minutes to lie down a single plank of tile. At this rate it will take me forever.

Anyone have any hints for getting the backing off quickly? Soak the planks in soapy water? Do something else? Anything?

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:
What's the temp down there? Not much is going to penetrate that waxy paper. Maybe throw a box in the oven at a low setting. Or microwave one a few seconds. :eek:

The temp is around 70. I think it just became too old. I have a propane based heater going now blowing on them. The backing comes off very sticky and slowly, but faster than just with a heat gun. It is a nightmare. Oh well.

I hate it when the paper won't peel off right and your fingers get all sticky. Luckily I haven't touched the stuff in a decade at least.

Latest posts

Back