Bad install? - carpet installation for lowes - please rank 1 to 10

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the seam ends it was a classic case of inexperience.
When your iron picks up to go over the tackstrip the surface of the seam tape will loose contact with the iron and the glue will not be melted properly.
You avoid this issue as I do by; On your final leg of the seam I pick the iron up the tape will stick to it,pull the tape backwards off the edge of the tackstrip run your iron to the end of the seam tape, (it will bunch up behind you slighty but that will have no effect as when you place the tape back in its position you will pul that bunched are out.) give it the ole 15-20 second press down, then lift the iron, slide fowardso you tape is back over the tackstrip, then lift your iron, front tilt up, back pulling on the tape as you pul the iron out you will be able to see the tape unbunch, you smoothly pull it out set your seam edges, place your weight til it cools, you are good to go.

This is also a common problem becase helpers will string the tape out and push it down onto the tacks to hold it in place, no your at your complete point and your tape is emmebbed on the tackstrip....

We all have been to last roll of seam tape and the last few inches, I will chew my help out if they leave an extra 3 inches of tape sticking out, so I always tell them 1" past the tack strip, if you stick to the strip it bette be unstuck by the time that iron is set next to that seam.

The procedure works on both ends of the seam, no need to come back and hot glue as I have seen many guys do.

Tell Lowe's, your going to hire an IICRC SR. Practising Carpet Inspector who will evaluate the installation and write a report to see if applicable industry standards have been met/exceeded. You will expect to get reimbursed for the cost of said inspection unless the inspection results in their being absolutely no industry standard defect. It's quick, concise and allows you/all to move on. Everybody's got an opinion,,,,,

At the seam ends it was a classic case of inexperience.
When your iron picks up to go over the tackstrip the surface of the seam tape will loose contact with the iron and the glue will not be melted properly.
You avoid this issue as I do by; On your final leg of the seam I pick the iron up the tape will stick to it,pull the tape backwards off the edge of the tackstrip run your iron to the end of the seam tape, (it will bunch up behind you slighty but that will have no effect as when you place the tape back in its position you will pul that bunched are out.) give it the ole 15-20 second press down, then lift the iron, slide fowardso you tape is back over the tackstrip, then lift your iron, front tilt up, back pulling on the tape as you pul the iron out you will be able to see the tape unbunch, you smoothly pull it out set your seam edges, place your weight til it cools, you are good to go.

This is also a common problem becase helpers will string the tape out and push it down onto the tacks to hold it in place, no your at your complete point and your tape is emmebbed on the tackstrip....

We all have been to last roll of seam tape and the last few inches, I will chew my help out if they leave an extra 3 inches of tape sticking out, so I always tell them 1" past the tack strip, if you stick to the strip it bette be unstuck by the time that iron is set next to that seam.

The procedure works on both ends of the seam, no need to come back and hot glue as I have seen many guys do.

Seems like you are going to a lot of work at the ends of the seams. If you used a seam board that would cover the pins on the tackless and you could melt up right to the wall. Hold down tape with awl, screw drive, or hook knife and lift iron out. Also tape isn't stuck to the pad. Easy Smeezy.

Daris

Your 5th pic shows a visible pile flaw. That got the installer off the hook, as well as Lowe's. Manufacturer gives them a full credit for the product on your job.

Glad you have had this remediated. That first installer should be cutting meat.

Deb

Latest posts

Back