Beginner with Grout Problems

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowers32

This is the very first time I have ever dealt with grout. I have about 500 sq feet of hard tile in my house.. laundry room, kitchen, bathroom... all the years I have been in this house (3rd owner) I have never paid attention to the grout but... was cleaning out in a cupboard in the kitchen and noticed that the grout that hadn't been exposed was a light color, not the dark brown everywhere else which meant... it was dirt not the color of the grout. Feeling disgusted I went to work... did my research to get the best cleaner, got a good stiff brush and got to scrubbing. In some cases it took a couple of times scrubbing, but got the bathrooms all clean. Looked great.. except I noticed the change in color when it got wet. Being the newbie I am, I hadn't thought about the seal that needs to be put down so water and dirt doesn't get to the grout. So... did my research got the top of the line sealer and went to work. Applied it, waited several hours and put on a second coat.

24 hours later I am noticing that there are some places it looks dirty/wet still. Did some research and read about uneven drying... of course my concern is that it will stay this way. So I am asking, do those section that look dirty/wet just need more time to dry or is it just the way it ends up after being sealed. See photos and you can see one where the grout is nice and clean and right next to it is long dark streaks.

Would love some input/suggestions...

Attachments

• IMG_8948.jpg
    IMG_8948.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_8949.jpg
    IMG_8949.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 49

Latest posts

Back