Best Box Truck or Box Van for Flooring Company

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum. About 4 months ago I purchased a flooring company in Idaho and our Box truck that we have been using is a 1998 and it's starting to fail. It's a Ford E350 with a 17 foot box on it (see pictures). I want to replace it with a new unit.

What is everyone's thoughts on the best truck/van/vehicle to use to for a flooring company?

What about a STEP VAN (like FEDEX uses)?

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and MERRY CHRISTMAS to all!!!!

Mark
Espinoza Flooring
Ketchum Idaho

Attachments

• IMG_9033.jpg
    IMG_9033.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_9035.jpg
    IMG_9035.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9036.jpg
    IMG_9036.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 0
I see a lot of mid sized Hino and Isuzu box trucks out there these days. 14’ to 17’ box seems about right. The box does sit higher though so you’re lookin at a lift gate vs a ramp or at least a bumper with a step. No biggie if you’re mainly delivering but if you’re workin and climbing in and out of the truck all day that could get old real quick.

If you’re working out of it and not just delivering materials I much prefer a van/step van with access through the side and from the cabin. As mentioned, way easier to get in and out of and access tools and supplies. They come in all shapes and sizes these days.

I ran my business with two Ford extended vans rather than one larger box van. More seating for the crew, more comfortable to drive and easier to park, and the crew can split up when needed. For smaller jobs one stays at the shop.

I see a lot of mid sized Hino and Isuzu box trucks out there these days. 14’ to 17’ box seems about right. The box does sit higher though so you’re lookin at a lift gate vs a ramp or at least a bumper with a step. No biggie if you’re mainly delivering but if you’re workin and climbing in and out of the truck all day that could get old real quick.
Great input CJ, thank you

If you’re working out of it and not just delivering materials I much prefer a van/step van with access through the side and from the cabin. As mentioned, way easier to get in and out of and access tools and supplies. They come in all shapes and sizes these days.

I ran my business with two Ford extended vans rather than one larger box van. More seating for the crew, more comfortable to drive and easier to park, and the crew can split up when needed. For smaller jobs one stays at the shop.
Hi JPFloor, yes, we'll be working out of it at each job. No not a box truck huh, you like the step van idea. Attached is a picture of what I am looking at.

Attachments

• F-59-P1000-pt-0.png
    F-59-P1000-pt-0.png
    726.4 KB · Views: 0
  • F-59-P1000-pt-1.png
    F-59-P1000-pt-1.png
    217.7 KB · Views: 0
  • F-59-P1000-pt-2.png
    F-59-P1000-pt-2.png
    180.2 KB · Views: 0
  • F-59-P1000-pt-3.png
    F-59-P1000-pt-3.png
    17.4 MB · Views: 0
So you’re doing primarily carpet? That’s a beautiful truck and it will certainly get the job done. Rollers are handy for tile and wood but not so much for carpet. If you have rolls too big to carry on your shoulder slide um out the back right onto the carpet cart. Put furniture slides under them when you load the truck if you have to. I’ve been know to tie a full roll off to a tree and drive out from under it.

I think all those shelves are just going to be in the way. Maybe the high ones could come in handy but I’d want something to stop stuff from flying off of them. Cabinets for tools and supplies would be nicer.

Personally I’d rather be driving a smaller regular sized extended van. If everything is within 5 miles get your guys started and make 2 or 3 trips if you have to. You know with a big truck like that the first cut you need is always gonna be on the bottom…😖

Last edited:
So you’re doing primarily carpet? That’s a beautiful truck and it will certainly get the job done. Rollers are handy for tile and wood and but not so much for carpet. If you have rolls too big to carry on your shoulder slide um out the back right onto the carpet cart. Put furniture slides under them when you load the truck if you have to. I’ve been know to tie a full roll off to a tree and drive out from under it.

I think all those shelves are just going to be in the way. Maybe the high ones could come in handy but I’d want something to stop stuff from flying off of them. Cabinets for tools and supplies would be nicer.

Personally I’d rather be driving a smaller regular sized extended van. If everything is within 5 miles get your guys started and make 2 or 3 trips if you have to. You know with a big truck like that the first cut you need is always gonna be on the bottom…😖
Great input JPFloor. We do have a van that we use for smaller jobs. We do mostly carpet, then luxury vinyls and then engineered flooring last.

Ski resort I assume? Vans suck in the snow…😎

My dream was always to own a four wheel drive van…
Yes, it's a ski town, but I talked to the FEDEX and UPS drivers and they use these stepvans without issues all year long......

I agree, I originally started looking for a 4-wheel drive or AWD vehicle but none of this stuff comes in 4X4 (must be for a reason?)

Latest posts

Back