Best floor for wet traffic

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brooksey

I am looking to replace my floor on the second story of my house above my garage. I origanally was going to put in tile floor in but was suggested not to due to the room being very large with not support underneath. the room sees a lot of traffic from the outdoors (Wet dogs and feet) and 2 large dogs. I am wondering what would be the best flooring for the money and will last the longest. Thanks for the help!

the best floor for wet traffic is rubber--raised disk prevents slippage--almost impossible to wear out

Yes, I agree with this. It's almost a standard, or at least it was for many years in new construction office towers to have "radial" rubber tiles on the treads and landing in the stairwells, entryways, service corridors and other heavy traffic areas because you can't wear it out and it's got good traction.

done right it's not cheap though

good brands;

Roppe
Pirelli
Burke
Johnsonite
Flexco
Mondo

this may be an old list as some of these companies, due to horrible economic conditions are being bough out, merged, in bankruptcy or otherwise change their company names

The one I'm handling most these days is the Mondo but that's just a company specific example. All of those listed are good names in the industry.

There's some porcelain tiles out there rated for slip resistance. Never wears out.

Floorist said:
Vinyl would be my suggestion, but it can get slippery.

Vinyl flooring has long been rated for slip resistance. Lvt clic would be more than adequate and there would be no need to make structural improvements to reduce deflection.

The first thing to do is to determine the criteria of the structure before ceramic tile is ruled out completely.

I origanally was going to put in tile floor in but was suggested not to due to the room being very large with not support underneath

That may have nothing to do with anything without knowing how the structure is built.:)

I am looking to replace my floor on the second story of my house above my garage. I origanally was going to put in tile floor in but was suggested not to due to the room being very large with not support underneath. the room sees a lot of traffic from the outdoors (Wet dogs and feet) and 2 large dogs. I am wondering what would be the best flooring for the money and will last the longest. Thanks for the help!

As per my point of view, Tile is best flooring for high traffic places. Ceramic tile, stone tile, and other tiling products are amazingly resilient and sustain nicely to high foot traffic. Until it is made of a extremely permeable content, tile is also easy to clean with a soaked cleaner.

Vinyl all the way - it's highly water resistant. Other floor types will expand, contract or stain when it comes into contact with water whereas vinyl is hardcore waterproof! It's hard to scratch and easy to clean - handy when you've got pets! :)

Latest posts

Back