Best material for tiny pottery studio

Help Support Flooring Forum:

highup

Professional
Pro
Lady has a new 12x16 manufactured building to be used as a pottery studio. It will have two kilns in it. She was thinking sheet vinyl. I'm thinking plain old VCT.
Your suggestions?

highup

Professional
Pro
I haven't seen it yet so I don't know if this is just for drying and cooking or if the whole operation is in this area. Wouldn't a coat of sealer and a few coats of wax fix the tile/cracks issue? VCT would be a lot tougher wouldn't it?

JPfloor

VCT is hard to beat but it does require regular maintenance. Waxing and stripping and such. When properly burnished it’s beautiful, impenetrable and can last virtually forever. Nothing is getting in the cracks. You can do some nifty designs too if so inclined…

Loose lay sheet vinyl is easier, less maintenance, and easy to replace when needed. Moving the kilns might not be so easy though…

highup

Professional
Pro
VCT is hard to beat but it does require regular maintenance. Waxing and stripping and such. When properly burnished it’s beautiful, impenetrable and can last virtually forever. Nothing is getting in the cracks. You can do some nifty designs too if so inclined…

Loose lay sheet vinyl is easier, less maintenance, and easy to replace when needed. Moving the kilns might not be so easy though…
I'm picturing two kilns, a potters wheel or two and tons of shelves setting on the perimeter. I'm thinking replacing sheet vinyl would be a nightmare some day.

JPfloor

Roppe radial rubber tile is pretty tough stuff but expensive… Epoxy floors are nice too…

VCT is still my pick. Works in schools and supermarkets…Can’t kill it if properly installed. Cheap and tough... As we all know proper prep is everything.

Latest posts