Best time to finish floor during rennovation

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swift99

Hi all,

I'm in the process of having some renovations done, including having a new kitchen installed. It previously had a lino floor, but I'm planning on having the previously unfinished hard wood, well, finished. Am I best to wait until the kitchen is fully installed, or is there any preparatory work/ initial sanding that should be done prior to having the kitchen installed. I'm just wondering how careful the finishers will be in sanding around the kick panels and suchlike. I would hate for my new kitchen to be damaged by flooring people people I even get to use it! Any advice?

Thanks,
Gerry

Nick is right. Your wood floor should be the final touch. If you're concerned about the floor finisher damaging the toe kicks, they could always be installed after finishing the floor. I'm sure the cabinet installer would charge for the extra trip.

You have to do all the hardwood work after finishing the floor because there is a crack problem with the wood work.

The floor should always be done last, regardless of what type or renovation involved, if you value the condition of your floor. Tool dropped, paint leaked, water splashed.. you can't really damage other things as readily as you can damage a brand new floor.. and what damage you CAN do to surrounds is easily replaced, compared to having to rip out an entire floor, sand-stain-refinish, or take out boards all the way up to 1 annoying board at the very start of your install. XD

Some ad campaign you have going here. And hear you are again this morning bright and early. Your work slow?:cool:

Not sure what you mean by ad campaign. Yeah I'd like to show off my homepage and fansites, but I tend to reply when people direct something at me, or if I have something to contribute. Work's not slow. It just happens that I wear many hats in my company, am the on-site server admin as well as an estimator and co-ordinator. I've got some time to cruise forums while I perform diagnostics and maintenance.

Latest posts

Back