Best vinyl for sand

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Customer has a new outbuilding/bathroom by a lake in the local sand dunes. There is an outdoor shower area on concrete and there's a bathroom inside with the toilet, hot water heater and a vanity cabinet. Inside dimensions are 10 by 10. He's wanting to put a vinyl floor in it, probably a stone or tile pattern because everything else will be wood. He doesn't want ceramic tile, so I'm curious what's the most durable vinyl product out there that would hold up in a somewhat sandy location? The driveway and everything leading up to this bathroom building is new asphalt and maybe the path from the boat dock and lake is paved too.
The grand kids and family will use this on occasion when visiting, so it's not a daily use building. He want's sheet vinyl, but I think one of those heavy duty commercial luxury vinyl products would be good.

Nice looking stuff. Never heard of it. Love to see some samples to see what it looks like and how it behaves.
Gonna go with some Armstrong sheet goods. Has a terracotta look in one foot squares and a 48" repeat. Don't recall the name but it's some tough looking material as far as a wear surface. Nothing will ever get rolled on the floor, just foot traffic to use the potty while hanging out at the lake now and then. There's a decent sized overhang/porch area outside the doorway with room for a pretty big commercial door mat. They understand it will need to be swept a lot to keep the abrasive sand from damaging the floor. Inside dimensions are slightly under 9' 6 by 9' 6.
Thanks Ernesto.

Don't matter what you put down with all that sand Hi.. That sand is going to beat that surface like a red headed step child ..
Just my thought ..

I know what sand does, but the usage of this bathroom is occasional, not daily. In the fall and winter and early spring it probably wont get used. They ought to get quite a few years out of it.

I might add that all sand isn't created equal. I know some beaches have sand that looks like fine gravel. This is super fine sand dune sand, not like coarse like bags of silica sand or the sand used for mortar. Still abrasive, but not like it's gonna poke little holes in the stuff. The vinyl has a mat finish, so it's already dull looking.
Since the area is so small, I think I'll suggest a stick vac. The owner's wife is a pretty tidy lady, everything neat, clean and in it's place. She'll take good care of it.

Latest posts

Back