best way to add hardwood without lacing

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard

We have a hardwood kitchen with finished red oak and a hallway with the same. There is a family room in between the two sections of wood that is carpeted. Would like to put hardwood down to match. Installers recommend lacing and refinishing everything which is quite costly. The sections of hardwood we do have are in excellent condition. Would appreciate any ideas/photos on how we could add a section of hardwoods, with or without borders to be visually pleasing. Thanks Richard

I had a similar situation. I assume your layout will be the same with all flooring running in the same direction. I installed flush headers in the doorways of the rooms at either side of the carpeted area. The headers are perpendicular to the flooring. I then installed the flooring in the carpeted area by net fitting between the headers. It takes accurate measuring and cutting but came out really well. If you're carefull you won't have to remove the bottom of any grooves to get things to fit. If the ends of the floor boards that abutt the carpet are not in a straight line you could square the line to do a flush fit or use transition molding to cover the ends of the old and new flooring. Have to see what looks best.

Last edited:
Do it right the first time , and lace it . You'll be happy with the results . Remember you have to look at it every day.

Thanks to everyone for responding on the forum. I have decided to lace it. Our contractor said the additional cost for lacing and re-sanding and finishing would be about $1000 more. I think it is worth the cost. Thanks again.

Richard,
Can you post some before and after pictures? Also, what type of flooring do you have? I'm just curious as to how the hardwood in the kitchen area has held up. I'm hardwooding my whole house but am hesitant to put hardwood in the kitchen.

Yep I can send pictures. These are either red or white oak and have a nice hard finish. They have held up very well in the kitchen area. But it is just the two of us and no pets.

I have done it before E . :eek:

Guess I should have not been so absolute. Sure it's possible if the wood lines up. Never seen any installer take the time to line up rooms that were divided by a carpeted room.
For that extra grand I'd probably want to do a custom room design, like a border with the field 45'd of sumpin. Why not make it spectacular?

I've persuaded several customers out of lacing before by pointing out the cost and time involved to do a 10 ft wide opening. It can be done I'm sure but I wouldn't want to do it.

I can imagine it is time consuming. I try to figure labor so my guys make good money and I'm pretty sure my price for lacing discourages those that suggest it.

It can be done! I agree with Nick. Here is a job I did a few years ago for a buddy of mine. This was only one room that I interlaced with a foyer through about a 6 foot opening. I had it done in a short Saturday with my son helping.

rodriguez job 003.jpg

rodriguez job 004.jpg

rodriguez job 005.jpg

rodriguez job 007.jpg

rodriguez job 009.jpg

rodriguez job 012.jpg

rodriguez job 017.jpg

rodriguez job 016.jpg

Looks like a professional did it. Great job, you'd never know it was done.

Daris

This is a friend of mine that's been on a missions trip with me. He had asked me for 2 years to do this, but I kept saying no. He had asked 4 other places also to do this and they also said no. The house was 5 years old when I finally agreed to do it. It was the exact same hardwood as installed when the house was built. The only way to see that it was interlaced was to get down on the floor and look at the sheen across it from a very low angle. It was way easier than I expected! AND I almost NEVER install hardwood!:eek:

Good job Pole . And there is good money in it @ $25.00 a row .

Unfortunately for me, I quoted him a high price, at least I thought it was high, and after talking to hardwood guys, I wasn't even close. I added a $150 bucks.:( That's what happens when you're a crapet guy doing hardwood!

Latest posts

Back