Best Way to Lay/Install Laminate flooring Upstairs

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaplaindoug

I am purchasing enough laminate flooring to do my entire upstairs. It includes bedrooms, closets, and an L-shaped hallway. I want to do this is the best possible way. I am especially interested in how to handle the hallway. Should I try to do the upstairs as if it was all one floor, i.e., having the panels all going in the same direction, thus avoiding any transitions at doorways, etc.? I have attached a diagram of our upstairs, Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

upstairs-e1482810052461.jpg

You could still use make the boards flow in one direction, but transitions are important as each room can have different humidity levels and let's imagine you got a spill in one room if the floor expands the transition would limit it to this room only where without it you can have damage to several rooms thanks to spill or moisture in one. Transitions - help the flooring to breath and let it expand on the corners and such. Yeah, its laminate and the expansion should not be big but it still have enough wood particles as stuffing to cause damage.

NickR is right. If you are using laminate there is a good chance at some point you will damage it. Having separate areas allows for the damage to be fixed easier and cheaper. Another product similar to laminate is LVT or LVP (luxury vinyl). It assembles the same but is cut with a knife and last 3 times longer. It's also water proof so you would have to burn it or something to damage it. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back