Black Stuff Under Carpet?!?!

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Makkers1982

Hello all,

First time poster here, hoping I can get some help.

My wife has asked me to lay engineered wood flooring in our dining room. I pulled up the carpet to take a look and beneath the underlay is the concrete (I’m guessing) floor covered in this black, tar like substance. It’s very hard and kind of chips off at the edges almost like glass (please see photos).

Any ideas what this is, and can I lay engineered wood flooring directly onto this using adhesive? Could it just be something to keep the damp out? I’ve heard things about asbestos....

DF106F8B-4A17-4F6D-A3AB-06284BC3C110.jpeg

03BB9C97-3312-4376-88A3-78E12E48DABE.jpeg

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Makkers

That my friend is some beautiful cutback adhesive residue from old VCT tile. Looks like someone took out the tile, and thats what your left with. It is a oil/solvent base adhesive with possible minute amounts of asbestos in it. It is embedded into the concrete or wood substrate. Best thing to do is float a floor over it, or skim coat it with a high end cement based feather finish like Ardex Feather Finish. https://cdn.ardexamericas.com/wp-content/uploads/ARDEX-FEATHER-FINISH-Technical-Data.pdf

Latest posts

Back