Brazilian Walnut Flooring / Subfloor / Fasteners

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dleonard

Hello, I'll be installing 3/8" x 3" Brazilian Walnut and I am looking for advice. I have an OSB subfloor that is 3/4" thick (I think). I am concerned about the fasteners holding to OSB over the long term. I wanted to overlay the OSB with something better. I don't think a Luan underlayment would work - correct? I've pretty much decided to lay down plywood over the OSB but can't decide on the thickness - I'm leaning toward 15/32". Suggestions?

Also, I was planning on screwing the plywood to the OSB but it's most likely going to be more costly than nailing and/or glueing. Will this matter?

Has anyone installed this flooring before? Any suggestions on the what fastner to use? On one review I've read, someone used 18 gauge cleats ... does this make sense with the 3/8" thickness? How about staples? I don't want to use a glue application.

Also, should I lay down an underlayment (like tar paper or equivalent) between the OSB & plywood to prevent noise if a screw or nail fails?

Thanks

3/4" sub-floor is minimum international code. Check by drilling a small hole and inserting an L-shaped wire like a paper clip to measure thickness. 3/8" is often fastened with staples but I understand your concern with the osb. If you apply a good quality construction adhesive to the back of each board in an S configuration that should ease your fastening concerns. Sub-floor should be clean and dry.

I have Brazilian Walnut flooring throughout my downstairs. I have used every wood cleaning product known to man and still have dull floors. The latest thing I did was apply amonia to strip the floor of all of the products I have used and WOW what a mistake! I can now see splatters and scrub marks all over. Can someone please offer any advise??

Thanks for sharing this great post! That is very interesting I love reading and I am always searching for informative information like this.

Latest posts

Back