Bruce solid hickory installation in upstairs of old home

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
Home was built in 1929 and the owner had a new second story added.
He entirely removed the old upstairs rooms and roof and rebuilt it from scratch.
He told me that he sistered on 6 by 6's to the existing ceiling joists as a base for the new floor supports. I think the 6 by 6's are engineered, not standard lumber. They of course rest on top of the original outside walls of the home as a support for the new second story.

He said there is 3/4 inch T&G OSB as the new upstairs subfloor. He called me yesterday, and told me he was looking at some Bruce solid hardwood... nail down, not floating.
He said it was 3/4" X 2 1/2"
I think this is what he was looking at this....... not absolutely sure.

http://www.armstrong.com/flooring/h...in-solid-hardwood-strip-C0610/floor-95349.asp

I don't know how much of the floor upstairs will have hardwood, but I was wondering about two issues.
I am assuming the 3/4" OSB will not be suitable for nail down?
If so, what needs to be done to correct that?

The home is 1929 vintage and has it's original fir floors downstairs. I don't even know if there is a vapor barrier (roofing felt) between the fir and the ship lap subfloor. I don't think that there is.
I am also not sure if there is a good poly ground cover under the home. I know it has some, just not sure what condition it's in.
So basically, without a vapor barrier between the downstairs fir floor with the ship lap subfloor, should there be any moisture concerns when installing this solid hickory flooring in the new upstairs?
(yes, a vapor barrier such as Aquabar would be used upstairs)

Last edited:
I don't see an issue if it is prorerly acclimated, moisture check on the wood and substrate other than it takes forever to naildown 2 1/4. Except........unless the OSB had been rained on. If it were my house I would add 1/2 inch plywood. Cheaper to do it now than later. ;)

I don't see an issue if it is prorerly acclimated, moisture check on the wood and substrate other than it takes forever to naildown 2 1/4. Except........unless the OSB had been rained on. If it were my house I would add 1/2 inch plywood. Cheaper to do it now than later. ;)

Adding plywood was what I was thinkin. 1/2 inch is enough?
Not sure how large of an area is designated for hardwood. Prior to this, they were thinking Berber carpet throughout the upstairs. Now they are thinking wood on part of it.
I'd like to pop in and see all the new stuff he's added to the home since I was there a year ago. ....a lot.

Yes . As long as you don't feel any deflection in the floor you should be ok.

No bounce . floor is stiff.

The NWFA accepted OSB into the standard because of pressure from the builders association and the OSB manufacturers.

The main cause of complaints from consumers with loose wood and that awful crackling sound over top of OSB is OSB and the inability of it to holdfasteners as well as plywood. If you can afford a new underlayment then you should do it. Otherwise live with the consequences and don't cry when it comes loose.

MY name is Ernesto and I approve this message.

Yes . As long as you don't feel any deflection in the floor you should be ok.

No bounce . floor is stiff.

I know in my heart, the floor will have zero bounce. The owner is a builder and he is an extremist like myself. Originally, I think they were figuring berber carpet for the entire job.......... but rethinking as the job has progressed, the idea of adding some hardwood came into the picture.

The NWFA accepted OSB into the standard because of pressure from the builders association and the OSB manufacturers.

The main cause of complaints from consumers with loose wood and that awful crackling sound over top of OSB is OSB and the inability of it to holdfasteners as well as plywood. If you can afford a new underlayment then you should do it. Otherwise live with the consequences and don't cry when it comes loose.

MY name is Ernesto and I approve this message.

Is that new plane sumpin' you got at auction, or is it CP's latest ride?

You will be fine. I can't imagine that the upstairs will more any more than the old fir downstairs. Very few builders in my area use plywood anymore it's all OSB...it gets rained on, snowed on, spit on...among other fluids. I have yet to have a problem with staples holding. More sure it is dry, check moisture of subfloor and hickory...with hickory I ALWAYS have the customer sign a document that informs them that hickory isn't a stable wood and they WILL have cracks in the winter (I'm in Iowa so we have extremes in humidity).

If you add any plywood be sure to check the rise on the stairs...adding more subfloor may throw it off. It wouldn't be good to have to add to every tread or have to rebuilt the stringers.

You will be fine. I can't imagine that the upstairs will more any more than the old fir downstairs. Very few builders in my area use plywood anymore it's all OSB...it gets rained on, snowed on, spit on...among other fluids. I have yet to have a problem with staples holding. More sure it is dry, check moisture of subfloor and hickory...with hickory I ALWAYS have the customer sign a document that informs them that hickory isn't a stable wood and they WILL have cracks in the winter (I'm in Iowa so we have extremes in humidity).

If you add any plywood be sure to check the rise on the stairs...adding more subfloor may throw it off. It wouldn't be good to have to add to every tread or have to rebuilt the stringers.
I live on the Oregon coast and we never get low humidity, so I don't think that's much of an issue here. Worth noting tho. Yup, adding 1/2" to the stairs might be an issue. I don't think the sheetrock is even completed yet. Thanks for the input and welcome to the site.
How do you think cleats will hold in it?

How do you think cleats will hold in it?

Today 04:12 PM
?

Which is why I posted the link above, least you could do is read the summary and conclusions at the end. Some people have huge issues with OSB and some don't. What I find most interesting is that east coast OSB has less issues than west coast OSB

Fastener Withdrawal Resistance of Wood-Based Composite Panel
Products

Which is why I posted the link above, least you could do is read the summary and conclusions at the end. Some people have huge issues with OSB and some don't. What I find most interesting is that east coast OSB has less issues than west coast OSB

Fastener Withdrawal Resistance of Wood-Based Composite Panel
Products

I noticed that.
He has to do the test all over tho.
He forgot to include floor deflection and people walking on the floor daily.
...how bout you email the guy to let him know. I gotta go to work. :D

I noticed that.
He has to do the test all over tho.
He forgot to include floor deflection and people walking on the floor daily.
...how bout you email the guy to let him know. I gotta go to work. :D

That wasn't part of the study for a reason, too many variables. It was purely a study in Fastener Withdrawal Resistance of Wood-Based Composite Panel Products

osb shrinkage.JPG

Last edited:
That wasn't part of the study for a reason, too many variables. It was purely a study in Fastener Withdrawal Resistance of Wood-Based Composite Panel Products

But that's like doing a tee shirt test and checking to see how many washings and dryings it can withstand before it begins to fall apart.
If it isn't worn between washings, the info is of limited value.
I still say a do over with 3 1/2" Hickory installed and the base usage is by a family of 2.6 people one medium size dog and a cat. :D

But that's like doing a tee shirt test and checking to see how many washings and dryings it can withstand before it begins to fall apart.
If it isn't worn between washings, the info is of limited value.
I still say a do over with 3 1/2" Hickory installed and the base usage is by a family of 2.6 people one medium size dog and a cat. :D

It is obvious the OSB would fare worse in that study since it looses holding power faster and in greater magnitude than plywood.

What do you think is happening is the picture of the osb I posted above? How would a fastener hold in that situation on the right verses the left??

Latest posts

Back