Can I buff refinished hardwood by hand between poly coats?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallenangelfyre

Hello all,

Doing a remodel on a home, including refinishing the hardwood floors. Had a professional drum sand and edge sand everything and then stained the floors. I applied the first coat of poly with a lambs wool aplicator. I almost wouldn't worry about buffing between the first and second coats as 95% of the floor looks great, however there is a small area that has small bubbles or possibly some dust/dirt that needs to be addressed before second coat.
I know I can rent a buffer and everything, but just trying to save a little money not doing so, as we are way over budget on this. Is there anyway I can buff out the floors by hand to correct the problem area before applying second coat? I was thinking of using brass wool, or maybe just getting a screen and using it by hand? Thank you-

What kind of finish did u apply?! Was it brand new?! Usually the best way is to do do coats so u have some build before abrasion, otherwise it would be to easy to go through the first coat & into the stain. We use sanding tape. 180 or 220 grit works the best for us. Gotta make sure u have the floor as clean as u possibly can. Good luck

I think your first mistake was having a pro sand the floor then try and finish it yourself. If you paid a pro to sand I think it would have been in your best interest to let him finish. Just because that cute blonde on HGTV can stain a floor doesn't mean its a DIY project.

Latest posts

Back