Can I screw second hand floor board planks on top of pieces of same planks then to support beams

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kgnot

Basically in the attic there are cables running everywhere with also insulation on top of old one so very high off the support beam level.

I want to save myself some hassle and just uplift the planks when I screw them to the support beams. This way there will be a gap between the planks and the support beams and space if I have to run another cable or whatever.

Attachments

• IMG-20230220-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20230220-WA0005.jpeg
    370 KB · Views: 2
I can’t think of a reason why not. After padding the beams with 2X4s or 4X4s I would throw down some plywood instead of planks… Safer to crawl around on. Try to avoid compressing the insulation.

I can’t think of a reason why not. After padding the beams with 2X4s or 4X4s I would throw down some plywood instead of planks… Safer to crawl around on. Try to avoid compressing the insulation.
Ok thank you. But i just realized if i purchase the plywood sheets i have to cut them i to a 55 cm wide pieces to get them through the roof hatch.
Did you mean to tell me to cut it into small pieces or you like me just realized it?
And may be they will stay not leveled

Well if you don’t feel like cutting the plywood, planks will do the job. I’d just use whichever is easier for you. I can’t imagine you’ll be spending too much time in that space. Storage area I assume?

Well if you don’t feel like cutting the plywood, planks will do the job. I’d just use whichever is easier for you. I can’t imagine you’ll be spending too much time in that space. Storage area I assume?
There will be two heavy roofers who want to do 6 openings of roof tiles in total to make the roof breath as i understand because its moist. They say no leak visible so gotta try this.
And with no total support spread across the beams i saw them bend a bit and also i am afraid they will accidentally fall. Or i will. The attic is practically unable to be useful in this state to walk around and do stuff.

How thick are the floorboard planks that you have and how large of an area do you need to make safe? Just a strip down the middle?

I havent bought them yet but i think standard floor planks 10 to 20 mm thick second hand.
I want to do all attik as they said they need to use stepladders.

Picture is deceiving. Doesn’t look like enough room to stand up? How far apart are the beams? Anyway the thicker the boards the less flex there will be and hence the safer it will be. If you’re going to have some heavy weights up there go with the 20 mm. 10mm is definitely too thin.

Ok i will go with 20mm. This is small part of the attik when i was on ladder in the hatch. The attik to the right goes up around 4 meters high and roofers want 7 openings up there total.
I can measure the distance between support beam like 30 cm

Last edited:
That should work.

I won’t pretend to be a roofer and certainly have no clue how they do it in England but just check to make sure that the additional insulation that was added isn’t blocking the intake vents that should be in the soffit. Also a little bewildering that there are no existing exhaust vents in the attic? Is it a very old home? Most roofers here in the U.S. use Ridgeline venting now a days.

I have an electric exhaust fan in my attic, makes a world of difference keeping it cooler up there in the summer.

Last edited:
That should work.

I won’t pretend to be a roofer and certainly have no clue how they do it in England but just check to make sure that the additional insulation that was added isn’t blocking the intake vents that should be in the soffit. Also a little bewildering that there are no existing exhaust vents in the attic? Is it a very old home? Most roofers here in the U.S. use Ridgeline venting now a days.

I have an electric exhaust fan in my attic, makes a world of difference keeping it cooler up there in the summer.
Very old home from 50. Gotta take it like a man. Thats the idea here in UK. But between me as east european and you prob as american, many homes in americas regarding at least roof ventilations are better. No offence for the beer chucking blokes here but many times they do not know how and where to put the vents. I had to learn so me and my father will be drilling the concrete soffit later this year before roofers are called for top vents.

Ahhh… I see. Sounds like you have a good plan. Good luck!

P.S. Again I’m no roofer but I’m thinking they should be able to put the top vents in from the outside without walking or using ladders in the attic.

Ahhh… I see. Sounds like you have a good plan. Good luck!

P.S. Again I’m no roofer but I’m thinking they should be able to put the top vents in from the outside without walking or using ladders in the attic.
I discussed with them that I want the entire attik to be ventilated. Meaning the air from the attik must circulate. Meaning air from outside go in through the soffit, then all the attik then out through the wood plywood nailed on the inside and then through the tiles. The roofers should make sure the inside of these vents is fitted tight through the plywood on the inside.

Latest posts

Back