Can please i get some feed back. I was told i am too picky. I would love your thoughts

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brentwood

The installer said he would be done tomorrow. He just needs to come back and silicone the baseboards and install a few more pieces of baseboard molding which he is installing because the floor has many gaps where it didn't meet the new baseboards he installed. This was already his fix on the transition. I also previously asked him to fix the sinking floor boards. His response today was " it's around the edges nobody walks around the edges "
20201201_012332.jpg
Screenshot_20201201-010648_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20201201-010429_Video Player.jpg
Screenshot_20201201-010426_Video Player.jpg
20201130_120231.jpg
20201130_120250.jpg
20201201_010259.jpg
20201129_191526.jpg
20201201_012332.jpg

The installer said he would be done tomorrow. He just needs to come back and silicone the baseboards and install a few more pieces of baseboard molding which he is installing because the floor has many gaps where it didn't meet the new baseboards he installed. This was already his fix on the transition. I also previously asked him to fix the sinking floor boards. His response today was " it's around the edges nobody walks around the edges "View attachment 11216View attachment 11208View attachment 11209View attachment 11211View attachment 11212View attachment 11213View attachment 11214View attachment 11217View attachment 11216
20201130_120139.jpg
20201130_120020.jpg

Personally I would say do not let him get near that floor with silicone. That looks to be some sort of lock together floor like Cortec?

I'm just going to be blunt that guy is neither a carpenter nor a flooring installer.
There are circumstances that make a job difficult such as an old house with floors that are not flat, but those things should be dealt with before the floors installed. Installation of baseboards and other issues should be discussed with the homeowner before starting a job, not as some sort of a fix after the fact.
Baseboards need to be either removed and replaced, or sometimes a base shoe or quarter round molding would need to be installed and maybe that's the case in places where I see that. But still I see some sloppy work. Personally I couldn't see paying for that.

He got all new 1/2 inch baseboards and there were so many gaps that he had to either put in the molding or pull them out and put in 3/4 inch base boards but I wasn't sure if that would cover it. So we went with the baseboard molding.

What's the stuff all over that door casing and sliding door, spackle?

I think it is spackle and it's some kind of board to cover.
Here are some picture before his repairs. He told me it was all cleaned up and all he had to do was silicone the baseboards so booked a showing (I am trying to sell this rental condo)the realtor feed back was not positive. There is also two pictures from that day that I posted his repairs above. He told me he fired his flooring guy and painter and he would fix it right. He was painting the place too and they missed that little wall in this picture and a lot more..
Resized_20201127_103321.jpeg
Resized_20201127_104133(1).jpg
Resized_20201127_103138(1).jpg

I'm trying to figure out why the guy didn't remove the door track and reinstall the track on top of the new floor. There's no excuse whatsoever to have that carpet edge showing.
I'm thinking rip it all out and start over.

Thank you for all the great feedback!! Its nice to have some professional advice. Since the installer thought it's good work. And was telling me I was too pickey. When I confronted him about the repairs the day before I posted this an he said he would need more money up front if he was going to fix them. Obviously I didnt give him any. These pictures were already his repairs from after the first time I saw it. When he told me it just needed a bit of silicon. Then he has the nerve to say he is going to out a lein on my condo and sue me. Like wft

Thank you for all the great feedback!! Its nice to have some professional advice. Since the installer thought it's good work. And was telling me I was too pickey. When I confronted him about the repairs the day before I posted this an he said he would need more money up front if he was going to fix them. Obviously I didnt give him any. These pictures were already his repairs from after the first time I saw it. When he told me it just needed a bit of silicon. Then he has the nerve to say he is going to out a lein on my condo and sue me. Like wft
Just take those pictures to court and countersue.

When I confronted him about the repairs the day before I posted this an he said he would need more money up front if he was going to fix them.
Why would he want/get more money up front when it is something e F'd up in the first place? Sorry for the F'd but it was the only way I think of how to say it.

Brentwood, before installing the material, the floor must be made flat in accordance to the manufactured specifications. For most all of these types of flooring products, the floor needs to be flat to within 3/16" in a 6 to 10 foot span or radius. If the flooring moves up and down when you walk on it, he didn't do the correct floor prep. Because of that, the locking joints are flexing and will weaken over time.
That voids any manufacturers warrantee.
The transition to the tile looks like it might be a difficult one. In cases like that, an installer needs to be creative and he should charge additional for doing that. The guy you have now isn't able from what I see, to be creative. Only thing he did right is get the boards right side up. He's calling your bluff. He's a hack.

One other thing he did wrong is the spacing of the end joints. When completing one row, the end joints in the next and following rows should be offset by a minimum of 8 inches and some manufacturers say 12 inches.
I see one corner were there are two rows with both boards starting at the same point and just one inch strips starting at the baseboard. That is totally wrong. even the beginning pieces and ending pieces need to be at least 8 in out from the wall
You never start with a one and a half inch piece butting against the wall. There was another picture you showed where I saw two adjoining rows had end joints that were only an inch apart. Totally wrong.
Heck, sent the images to the manufacturer. Ask them if they would honor their warranty on this job.
Have the "installer" buy you new material if they say no.

He definitely didn't do any leveling. It looks like he didnt even have a broom or a knife. I had an actual professional in. He said it is the worst he has seen in 30 years of flooring. He has removed all or it and started over doing it properly. He said it would have started falling apart with in the month. He found Pieces with damaged or no connected tongue and groove siliconed together. He was using painters mud to silicone baseboards. He even left nails sticking right out of the concrete. It's appalling. considering the situation i am happy to pay more to have it done right instead of trying to sell my place with a lemon of a floor.
imagejpeg_0(5).jpg
imagejpeg_2(1).jpg
imagejpeg_3.jpg
imagejpeg_0(2).jpg
imagejpeg_1(2).jpg
imagejpeg_1(1).jpg

That is a very messy horrible job. I have seen DIY installations that looked more professional. Is this guy licensed and bonded? I would go to the authorities & show these pictures. That work is terrible!
You are not being picky, that is a sloppy unprofessional job that should not be accepted. It's like ordering a steak & getting it burnt to f****.

His "Nobody walks on edges" is absolute BS. If the end pieces sink that means it can mess up the connected boards. This would void the warranty on the installation as it's not done properly. Leave negative reviews of this guy, warn people not to use him, & tell him his job is NOT acceptable. Don't let him gaslight you & tell you it's ok. He didn't follow the mfrs instructions & his "work" looks like absolute garbage. I would report this to building inspectors if he's licensed.

If he tries to take you to court, make sure you go to court & bring these photos. Tell them the work was crap & you will not pay for a shoddy job that was not done properly. Maybe find someone to correct it & sign an affidavit that it was done horribly.

Why would he want/get more money up front when it is something e F'd up in the first place? Sorry for the F'd but it was the only way I think of how to say it.
I think he might actually believes it looks good and I a screwing him... I mean ya when you walk in the door it looks good. Just dont look down...

Latest posts

Back