Can please i get some feed back. I was told i am too picky. I would love your thoughts

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Just don't look down' 😁
That's both funny and sad. When selling a home things don't have to be perfect but you have to live knowing you sold the home with a clear conscience. There's a difference between imperfection and crap. Makes us feel good that you have someone on site that will justify what we've seen from hundreds of miles away.
It would be great if you would post back when the job is complete.

I just saw the image with the nail in it. That's impossible to not notice such a bump under a plank as you're attempting to install it. Anyone could accidentally do what he did and leave a nail sticking up but you'd find it as soon as you were trying to install the plank. I'll bet when he's at the bar he tells tall stories about all the whiney customers he works for. 😁

That is a very messy horrible job. I have seen DIY installations that looked more professional. Is this guy licensed and bonded? I would go to the authorities & show these pictures. That work is terrible!
You are not being picky, that is a sloppy unprofessional job that should not be accepted. It's like ordering a steak & getting it burnt to f****.

His "Nobody walks on edges" is absolute BS. If the end pieces sink that means it can mess up the connected boards. This would void the warranty on the installation as it's not done properly. Leave negative reviews of this guy, warn people not to use him, & tell him his job is NOT acceptable. Don't let him gaslight you & tell you it's ok. He didn't follow the mfrs instructions & his "work" looks like absolute garbage. I would report this to building inspectors if he's licensed.

If he tries to take you to court, make sure you go to court & bring these photos. Tell them the work was crap & you will not pay for a shoddy job that was not done properly. Maybe find someone to correct it & sign an affidavit that it was done horribly.
Thank you my new installer already said that he would do that for me if needed. And yes I'm not worried if he takes me to court. Really I should be sueing him for what he did to my condo.

All this talk of DIY'ers doing a better job. Your right. So sad to get this kinda of a nightmare when your told the guy has 40 years of experience. I went down and snapped some picks of my basement suite. About 4 years ago I helped my tenant install some laminate. It was my first time and my tenants 4th. He borrowed and rented all the tools. Since his dog killed the carpet. But it looks pretty good for rookies . Here are some pics.
20201129_104522.jpg
20201129_104406.jpg
20201129_091127.jpg
20201129_104309.jpg
20201129_104337.jpg
20201129_104347.jpg
20201129_104337.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you and the floor is back in and it looks great. They pulled it all up and undercut the fire place and door ways. They actually pulled off the closet track and the baseboard heater and did it properly. And even the long straight baseboard joints are cut at 45's and joined to minimize the joints. I gotta say i was a nervous the place I got the flooring from only had 80 sq feet left and there was a couple boards left from the first guy. For them to salvage 500 sq feet of flooring. They only two two foot planks left over to spare. I should have taken some close up shots . I'll do that next time im there when I get my painter in to do the baseboards and fix his paint job. Thank goodness the guy I usually use his shoulder is better now. He only paints on the side but hes really good, fast and gives me a great deal.
Resized_20201201_112957.jpeg
Resized_20201201_112919.jpeg
20201201_184401.jpg
20201201_184011.jpg
20201201_183633.jpg
20201201_183625.jpg
20201201_183645.jpg

Might be worth it to sue the other guy in small claims court..
Ya im wondering if it is worth my time and stress to sue him. If he follows though with the lein I will. I screwed up too. I was supose to give him 800 up front 1200 on completion. I supply the floor and underlay. He supply's the paint baseboards and everything else. He was supose to fill, paint and do the floors. I gave him 200 to lock in the week work. He said he would start monday and should be done by friday. I paid the remaining 600 of the deposit before he went to buy supplies. Then that thursday he asked if I could send him another 300. He needs to pay his guys. He had sent me some pictures and from far it looked good. Then like next Wednesday he asked for another couple hundred and I sent him 300 more. I was busy that day having a bit of a shit day. I forgot I had already sent him 300 thinking instill owef him 900 after that. So I only owed him 600 more. He told me he just needed to put a few more pices of trim and silicone the baseboards. I went to check it out that night. when he walked out after I confronted him about all the remaining deficiency from the first walk though (he said he fired his floorer and would fix everything personally) and his lousy fixes. He said he didnt think he would get the rest of the money even if he fiished the work. He needed 300 more or he would fix it. These pictures were him already trying to fix it once. So I dont think he was able to anyway. It sucks I only found this guy because my normal guy who paints on the side. Who did an amazing job on my 900 sq foot basement suit. I filled and bought paint he only wanted $350 I think i gave him 450 That was for 3 colors too. His argument was you asked for a good and cheap painter( I know bad choice of words I got roasted on the FB page). So you got cheap. I also asked for good. And I only asked for a painter. I had a quote for the flooring place I was planning to use. He found out I was doing the floor too and wanted to bid on both. He told me he has 40 years experience and is semiretired. That's why he can give me such a good deal. (Its not my fault he quoted me so low) Great one guy doing all of it sounds like a deal. Now the floor was completely redone and i still need to get my guy in who thankfully is feeling better. Im gonna fill everything this guy missed which is a fare amount. He is going to paint the baseboards and fix all the spots that the old paint is bleeding through. And paint the few spots he just plain missed. I'm hoping my painter think will need do a whole new coat... sorry that was so long and painful

Ya I got roasted about that when I posted. it was a bad choice of words
I should have said good and affordable painter. I was only asking for a painter to. Atleast paint is an easy fix if it is screwed up. I had a nice quote from a well reviewed laminate company already. Then he said he really wanted to quote on both. He came up with the price. Respectable looking guy with nice professional looking quote sheet.
"M***** Complete interior renovations and design" saying he has 40 years experience and is semi retired which is why he can give me such a good price. That it was gonna look great in here. Not that he was gonna use hire people that clearly dont know what they are doing or care about there job.

I can't imagine him not doing the job personally, or at least not being there running the show so he can maintain quality. If I ever had people working with me, i'd be doing most of the installation and they would be the guys opening boxes, setting up the saws, doing the cleanup handing me planks etc. That said, I work too slow so they'd just be sitting in fold up chairs watching me. 😁
Just saying if he was there, he'd be correcting the mistakes and helping his helpers learn so the could become competent. You don't let em loose untill they know what they are doing and can be trusted.
Those guys were fast. Looks great.

Thanks ya 2 guys and a day and a half for 500 sq ft of floor. To pull it up organize and salvage what they could. Install all new baseboard and silicone. It might be more work then doing it from scratch? I wish I just went with them from the start. Instead of waiting 15 days for paint and floors and it still wasn't finished. I was thinking about it. Last Friday when he told me it was done and just to be siliconed and my realestate agent booked the showing. He told me "sorry i fired his flooring guy." How did he not see how bad it was if he fired him? I think he was just gonna try and pass that garbage off on me. I think his guy quit and he finished it off. Unless he fired the first guy then sent an even worse guy into finish. The floor looked like it went from a crappy to garage about half way through.

Come to think about it I dont think I even saw a table saw when I was there. Zoom in on these cuts it looks like he was ripping them by hand. That's probably why there was so many gaps around the edges.
20201204_212605.jpg
Screenshot_20201204-213033_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20201204-213041_Samsung Internet.jpg

Latest posts

Back