Can you put in on my wall too?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
..........uh, idunno?

Will you put it on my wall? I want the window gone so I can hang my paintings and prints.

Sure, no problem. šŸ«£
Flexible vinyl planks, no t&g.
A little vinyl base adhesive, a Hitachi pneumatic pinner and a gitter done attitude. Old single wide mobile home paneling is bouncy and thin but this flooring don't care...... Me neither because he doesn't either.
After gluing and smoothing each plank down, I machine gun pins every 6 inches at an angle on every plank. They totally disappear. They embed themselves 1/3 of the way below the surface for just enough holding power.

So can I put them on his wall?
......yes I can, about that tall.

Attachments

• PXL_20220810_001210806.jpg
    PXL_20220810_001210806.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 2
  • PXL_20220809_235028692.jpg
    PXL_20220809_235028692.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Good man! Hereā€™s a cheap laminate accent wall I did but I left the window alone. I used silicone and pin nails. I would worry that cove base adhesive would get hard and lose its bond with any movement in the flimsy paneling.

P.S. I totally woulda smoked one with the Indian.

Attachments

• 7631F52B-6BEF-4C7C-8680-71C4B2C37E13.jpeg
    7631F52B-6BEF-4C7C-8680-71C4B2C37E13.jpeg
    454.7 KB · Views: 0
I think the pins alone would hold these planks in place, meaning without any adhesive. The planks are 4 ft long and I'm guessing there's probably seven pins on the upper edge of the plank and seven on the lower edge plus three on each seam edge. All of the pins are shot at a 20 or 30Ā° angle. They actually hold pretty well. I know that they hold because I had to remove a piece after realizing it was identical to one in the row below it.
I bought my little Hitachi pinner about 10 years ago because a fella wanted me to put some of those skinny incense cedar planks on the back wall of a closet. I love the way they disappear, unlike a brad nailer. Not a lot of holding power but that's not a big deal for when you use these because you're always going to use adhesive.
They do however hold pretty good if you put 20 or 30 of them in one square inch. I did that once when I first bought it and I felt like one of those guys that installs carpet in motorhomes. šŸ˜
I thought I was the only crazy person that did walls. That looks nice. Got to be careful when smoking with the Indian he catches fire.

Last edited:
I love doin all kinds of neat stuff like that. Iā€™ve wrapped a couple fireplace surrounds, done several window seats, and pretty much anything custom that looks cool as long as Iā€™m gettin paid for it.

Biggest pain in the ass for me is remembering I gotta throw a ladder in my van for those verticals jobs.

I don't ever recall doing a wall before.
.......well, except for the 1500 yards of wall carpet at the local Weyerhauser paper mill.
That was an interesting job. They put a 15 million dollar addition onto the existing mill they purchased.
10 years later the entire mill site was just concrete slabs.
The said they were losing money.
Aside from that, I don't recall doin wall covering.

At one time I did hundreds upon hundreds of carpet on walls and a couple of ceoings. Wall and ceiling for a sterio dude expert in the area. He said it was the best sound he ever had. Another was in a announcing area of a local radio station it even had the glass in the window slanted to reflect sound to the floor. Really weird when done the room was so dead you could hear the saliva going down your throat when you swallowed.

My brother and grandfather put some thick plush carpet on the floor walls and ceiling of the master bedroom for a local lumber mill owner. He said they didn't carpet the door or the windows.
That would have been around 197 4 if I had to guess. They cut the carpet into 16 inch or 2 ft wide strips and glued it. Sounds like a nightmare.

Walls are bad enough I can't imagine ceilings.
If if you could locate the ceiling joists, that would be a fantastic place to use 2 inch long, 17 gauge quarter inch crown staples......
......just get paid in cash and don't use your real name. šŸ˜

I'm just having a hard time understanding how you get your 100# roller on the ceiling to roll it? šŸ˜‚
Wanna see my 6 pac šŸ˜²
....nobody else does either. šŸ˜
Might as well look at the grocery store, looks the same as mine.
Been off and on this job for a month and a half. Too many measures and fires to put out. Thank God the man is patient.
It's a small area to take magazine quality photos, so this is as good as it gets for a final. It's going to look super nice after he hangs his paintings. It previously had a 5 foot window hiding behind 30 year old drapes. Blocking out the window makes the wall into an art gallery for him. I can't wait to see what he puts on the wall. I'm stopping by tomorrow afternoon to help put up a large painting in the center. Once done, he can position is smaller prints and paintings.
This small room is used as a pass through 99.9% of the time. Now it will be a gallery of sorts. The fella just turned 84. He's lived on this property his entire life. The wonderfully stories never end.
I should be paying him.
..........wait, WAIT, HOW DO I ERASE THAT!!! šŸ˜±šŸ˜±šŸ˜±
The job was not a huge money maker in any sense, but it was a one of a kind experience that was fun for both of us. He has a "younger" helper that makes everything tic like a clock. His clock is like mine...... no particular time zone. šŸ˜
Im done except for carpeting his 15' hallway.
...with a Stanton woven, patterned carpet. Three hand sewn seams and the job will be complete.
Once in a lifetime experience. šŸ‘

Attachments

• PXL_20220815_012310237.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220815_012310237.MP.jpg
    9.3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220815_012255928.jpg
    PXL_20220815_012255928.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220815_012237573.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220815_012237573.MP.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20220815_002841091.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220815_002841091.MP.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
The phone camera amplifies textures and light and dark things.
The flooring looks super nice, not remotely like the image showing the floor leading into the kitchen.

Oh, the last image is of his wall studs. I mapped out the studs and the new 2x4s where I filled in and made the window disappear. I did that so if possible, he could hang heavy items on the studs........ it was easy to find them before I started that to probe for them after the planks covered over the obvious.

Last edited:
That wall looks great and Iā€™ll bet your customer is happy as all get out. Best part is you were only on your knees for the first few feet.
....last few feet. I started two rows up. šŸ˜‰
Previously, this 14 foot wall was blocked by over 5 feet of 30 year old dusty gold curtains. The man has tons of artwork and this is a huge improvement.
I stopped by yesterday to hang his eye popper. It's about 42 or 46 inches tall..... larger than it appears here. He and his assistant can organize the smaller stuff around it. This is one really cool painting.
The floor and this wall especially, is like a home makeover. Everything is quite disorganized now, but he'll be able to get artwork where it needs to be and make this room what he's always wanted it to be.
I still have a woven Stanton rug to sew and install. That might be a week away.
I'm packed out and done for now.
What a journey this has been. This fella is a local living history book.

Attachments

• PXL_20220816_005522415.jpg
    PXL_20220816_005522415.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back