Carpet 101

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
It says here that it's not all that difficult to install my own carpet. Then below, it rates the difficulty level at 5 out of 5, meaning difficult.
It doesn't mention cleaning up fresh blood stains from my new carpet. I assume that accidents could happen when working with "pointy spikes" or a utility knife. Should I hare a pro or do it myself?
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/how-to/how-to-install-carpeting

Found these when looking up my Millikan carpet pattern the other day.
Does anyone proof read these how-to's?
https://decordezine.com/how-to-install-carpet-on-stairs
"
Procedure
  1. Smoothen the surface of the steps and vacuum it. In case of wooden ones, see that there are no nails sticking out. Whereas, in case of cement staircases, see that the cracks and corners are properly filled. Also, if you are replacing your old carpet, it is not advisable to reuse the old carpet pads or tack strips.
  2. Place the tack strips on the angle between the tread and riser. Use the hammer to fix them. Another way is to place the tack strips on both sides of the tread, adjacent to the walls.
  3. Carpet pads will protect your carpet from mildew. Therefore, it is essential to install carpet pads before laying down the carpet. Place carpet pads under these tack strips. Using a stapler, attach the underlay to each riser and tread.
  4. Now place the carpet (runner) along the entire staircase. Starting from bottom, tie the carpet to the tack strips, step-by-step. Fix it permanently in place using a hammer, in the corners where it will be folded. Stretch it into place using a knee kicker or a seaming iron. Repeat this at each tread before attaching the carpet to the tack strip on the next tread.
  5. Lastly, you need to cut out any extra pieces or uneven ends of carpet using a utility knife. And your installation is complete!

"
I probably should have highlighted the entire instructions. :D

Found these when looking up my Millikan carpet pattern the other day.
Does anyone proof read these how-to's?
https://decordezine.com/how-to-install-carpet-on-stairs
"
Procedure
  1. Smoothen the surface of the steps and vacuum it. In case of wooden ones, see that there are no nails sticking out. Whereas, in case of cement staircases, see that the cracks and corners are properly filled. Also, if you are replacing your old carpet, it is not advisable to reuse the old carpet pads or tack strips.
  2. Place the tack strips on the angle between the tread and riser. Use the hammer to fix them. Another way is to place the tack strips on both sides of the tread, adjacent to the walls.
  3. Carpet pads will protect your carpet from mildew. Therefore, it is essential to install carpet pads before laying down the carpet. Place carpet pads under these tack strips. Using a stapler, attach the underlay to each riser and tread.
  4. Now place the carpet (runner) along the entire staircase. Starting from bottom, tie the carpet to the tack strips, step-by-step. Fix it permanently in place using a hammer, in the corners where it will be folded. Stretch it into place using a knee kicker or a seaming iron. Repeat this at each tread before attaching the carpet to the tack strip on the next tread.
  5. Lastly, you need to cut out any extra pieces or uneven ends of carpet using a utility knife. And your installation is complete!

"
I probably should have highlighted the entire instructions. :D

It almost looks like a cheap computer wrote it after being fed shredded words out CRAINS catalogue and the CRI's 104 and 105 instructions, then re-written by the Chinese hacks.
However bad it was, on the positive side, they had a lot of familiar words in the article..... :D

Last edited:
It almost looks like a cheap computer wrote it after being fed shredded words out CRAINS catalogue and the CRI's 104 and 105 instructions, then re-written by the Chinese hacks.
However bad it was, on the positive side, they had a lot of familiar words in the article..... :D
Pad under the tack strip? Strip it on the sides only?

Latest posts

Back