Carpet Installation- footings lower than floor

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinspokes

I have a problem I'm trying to figure out before getting carpet installed. When the concrete slab was poured in my basement they did not match the grade of the footings. The footings are about 1/2" below the concrete floor.

My question is, how do I fill this to bring it level for my carpet installers?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,

Thank you for the idea.

Anyone have any thoughts on using some type of thin set or self leveling material to bring up to grade?

Just curious if a thin set or self leveling material would bite into the footings enough to have the tack strip nailed to them without wanting to pull up from the footings...

Yeah, that makes sense...my only fear is that it's not 3/4" all the way along the wall, hence I was looking for flexibility in choosing a filler material.

Thank you for the idea.

Anyone have any thoughts on using some type of thin set or self leveling material to bring up to grade?

Just curious if a thin set or self leveling material would bite into the footings enough to have the tack strip nailed to them without wanting to pull up from the footings...

Do what Daris said and use a urethane construction adhesive. Chip off any chunks or high spots and clean it good. Maybe even wire brush the area, then vacuum before gluing the plywood in place.
Filler or thinset will probably chip out if you nail into it.

You should also consider cutting the strip of plywood into short pieces, so that it conforms the the floor. (footing) Long strips of plywood will usually be bowed , so short pieces (10") need less babysitting to get them to conform to the floor.

Last edited:
I would definitely float it out with a high psi cement based patch, then glue and nail after it's totally cured - might need small cuts or 1 in fluted nails. Just gotta get the feel for it.

Latest posts

Back