Carpet quality inspection

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highup

Will work for food
Supporting Member
Pro
How come they don't catch defects at the factory? Do factories have bad lighting? :shooting:
I delivered some carpet and a roll of pad at a job on Friday afternoon. Yesterday I went over to get started on it. I only brought in the smaller 18 foot roll on Friday and that was for the hallway and living room fills.............. so best thing to do was cut that piece up and get it out of the way before I brought the 28 footer in.
I immediately saw some slightly lighter stripes about 2 inches wide. 12 inches from one edge and 15 inches in on the other side. Carpet is a speckled cut Berber type. Near the center of the roll was a darker band...... almost passable, but it was visible. Looks like too many light flecks got into the outer rows and too many dark flecks in the darker band.
Fluffed up the carpet by dragging my straight edge across in..... made no improvement.
OK, so I'm out of work this week, had to pack all my tools back into the van and it will be two weeks before replacement material arrived. Rolled up the carpet and took it back to the warehouse.
..........ya suppose that line inspector at the mill got paid for his weeks work? :shooting:

Last edited:
I had a cpt one time i moved a ton of furniture , brought in the cpt ,and it had lines every 12" down the length. Put the furniture back , ordered a new piece .
Same thing . Called the mill and read them the riot act . 3rd piece same thing .

Told the lady to pick something from a different mill.:mad:

Rolled out carpet in a store to cut it. Every inch of the backing fell off as it unrolled. Also had a level loop that had a row missing right down the middle of a 120' roll. Store wanted me to cut it out and seam the whole thing back together. No way.

I lost a day just screwing with taking the carpet and most of my tools and supplies into the house.............. then packing it up, cleaning up and taking the roll back to the warehouse. This was "this weeks" job. ...about $600 postponed for a week and a half. I got bills to pay Friday. :mad:
Got lucky and managed to sneak in a $250 job tomorrow and Thursday. That was next weeks job.

Latest posts

Back