Carpet repair

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Monfils

Professional
Pro
Fixed a hole from a dog , in carpet today.
84C968B7-C308-42BD-AB0A-A5D4A5DE862B.jpeg
7CD5D0E1-A85E-411F-9D36-6758110C4948.jpeg
B62FFF36-D812-47CF-8AB8-B4CA577A61D0.jpeg
2E52F93B-DEF4-4E46-846C-4E107C04E77C.jpeg

When it first came out, I thought that cool glide was a joke. I have one I can borrow when I need one for repairs and when doing pattern material.
I bet the customer stood there in disbelief.

When it first came out, I thought that cool glide was a joke
High up you could not pay me enough to install carpet without mine. Best thing going. We Were given irons as a gift when we all finished our final year of trade school, and that is the only reason i own that tool, it is 12 years old and i bet it has not put together 100 feet of seams. Kool-Glide for the win.

When Roland was training people to use them, they bought new ones. He sent me one of the old ones. Great tool for repairs. I still like my regular iron better for installations.

When Roland was training people to use them, they bought new ones. He sent me one of the old ones. Great tool for repairs. I still like my regular iron better for installations.
For most installations I prefer my Robert's iron but for pattern carpet I really like the cool glide because you can stop anytime you want to tweak the pattern a little bit then continue. I definitely like the tool.

That's the iron iron, my Kool glide has done miles and to look at it.... you would know :)
Okay, that makes a lot more sense.
With flat material like patterns I do like the Kool glide. For cut pile I like the advantage of watching the seam edge go into the tape. I don't like just setting it in place and hoping it's where it's supposed to be or digging to find how it went together. I'd never use it on a cut pile of carpet except for repair work.

I might break out my standard iron if I had some apartment grade carpet to do, though it's been years since I've seen any of that stuff but mostly I use the KG for everything. Yes positioning can be a pain and I've been complaining about the location of the power light since the tool came out. I have to fix cold spots all to often, where I thought I hit the button but the iron didn't activate. Still, even on your average plush it's worth breaking out due to all the other perks.

You can stop/start whenever.
It's hard to burn yourself on one.
No tray to overheat the carpet or get tipped over.
You don't have to worry about over heating/discoloring the face yarn on the seam.
Due to the above, you can pretty much tractor away with abandon.
Helps with peaking and tape profiling.
Can reheat to fix a gap for example.
Helps with patterns and bowed goods.

In fact the only time a standard iron might be the better choice is on extremely stiff/cold carpet. The KG just doesn't get the backing as pliable as the other.

I use koolglide on everything, just more comfortable with it now after running one for 11 years! I don’t seem to get alot of easy carpet jobs. Oh, and hello everyone!

Latest posts

Back