Carpet rip up tool

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Monfils

Professional
Pro
Not sure if I posted this here before but this tool came in handy this week.
We had 260 yards of glue down rip up that was a bear to remove. This thing isn’t real fast but it definitely takes a lot of the bullwork out of it.
Rips up 4 foot shots at a time.

This is the finished product.
We had just a little bit of furniture to move 😳

Attachments

• D9C075AA-F965-488B-973C-D89BC223F4B7.jpeg
    D9C075AA-F965-488B-973C-D89BC223F4B7.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 8FECDD44-A1EB-4B1F-92E3-DA6645C1B79B.jpeg
    8FECDD44-A1EB-4B1F-92E3-DA6645C1B79B.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 77629BAA-8097-48DF-B71A-67230DD17A3B.jpeg
    77629BAA-8097-48DF-B71A-67230DD17A3B.jpeg
    134.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 4514101C-F426-4DB7-A167-2319CDC84FBD.jpeg
    4514101C-F426-4DB7-A167-2319CDC84FBD.jpeg
    200.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 9CB09756-B55C-4F74-A9AB-3AC1ECF255B4.jpeg
    9CB09756-B55C-4F74-A9AB-3AC1ECF255B4.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 58
You make me jealous, I remember when I would take on big jobs like that. Spent one year doing churches.

I avoid churches like the plague because you’re not trying to make one person happy, you’re trying to please a committee. There’s always one old person on that committee that needs to be rolled up in some of the old carpet and dumped with it.

I avoid churches like the plague because you’re not trying to make one person happy, you’re trying to please a committee. There’s always one old person on that committee that needs to be rolled up in some of the old carpet and dumped with it.
Very true, but we made a lot of money doing them.

I’ve used the wench carpet puller before and damn if that wasn’t nice. Once you clamp on to the carpet with the clamp bar you just push the button and watch it pull the carpet up. If it’s not stuck that well you could even pull up entire shots at a time.

I’ve used the wench carpet puller before and damn if that wasn’t nice. Once you clamp on to the carpet with the clamp bar you just push the button and watch it pull the carpet up. If it’s not stuck that well you could even pull up entire shots at a time.
I owned one of these… Next best thing to a terminator ( which cost 30 grand).
If the carpet is coming up as easy as in this video you really don’t need it but when it’s stuck good you can cut it into 3 or 4 ft strips and this puller will make short work of it. Comes with an extra hook and pulley to double the pulling power.
Great machine, saved my a## many a time.

Last edited:
I actually made a couple of those out of some square pipe and a couple long nuts I got from the hardware store.

I put end caps on the tubing and welded the nuts on the end. Then I happened to have a couple big rachet type wrenches they use for tightening up guy wires that fit the nuts I welded on.

They worked great! Definitely not the fastest but I never had to bust ass too hard.

Just curious on what they cost to buy? I got lucky and made mine only having to buy the end bolts.

I must have seen them years ago and copied their design. Lol

Couldn't agree more! Last one I did damn near the entire congregation was there to "supervise".

Most people toss money in the collection tray for years and wondered where the money is going. So when they do something they feel like it's their own.....

But on the other side of the coin, sometimes their really awesome and make you super comfortable while you're working there. Luck of the draw I suppose?

63FF7761-D17B-4A8B-A8A2-91591169870A.png

A friend of mine made this one ,it cost me $40.
F45F2DF8-6B4A-476C-B862-2BC5F1A988DE.jpeg

He welded end caps on the ends with a socket recessed in the middle of the endcap.
So you just stick a half inch ratchet in the square hole and put a pipe on the ratchet for leverage.
I was going to put a hole in the pipe with threads so I could tighten the ratchet to the pipe. I never got around to that.

Ride-on or even the top quality walk-behind demo equipment require a very substantial quantity of flooring to pay for themself--------initial costs, maintenance, transporting, and storage. What I like about Don's tool is not so much it's effectiveness or efficiency but the fact that it looks very easy to handle----maintenance, delivery and storage.

I love to tell the story of when I was straight out of high school working demo for a flooring shop with the owner's sons and we were being dispatched out in the AM by the partner of the owner who ran the labor. We're about to leave without loading up any of the demo machines--------------the guy say's, "Oh, don't worry, it's PROBABLY gonna come up easy. You don't need the machines."

WTF???? The machines were setting right there 10-15' away from the truck we were about to ride out on. I said F that and loaded up the machines anyway and even at that tender age and limited experience shot the old man a dirty look. He just smiled at me. See, we were working SO cheap those day he couldn't care less if we took all day or even three days. Our blisters, pain and stupidity was a risk he was willing to take.

150 bucks at harbor freight, some lumber, and tackstrip. Boss wasn't as excited as we were but he wasn't on the labor side. Cable is rated higher than winch so no worries about snapped lines. Crude but worked.

Attachments

• 20170327_111646.mp4
    30.1 MB

Latest posts

Back