Carpet Tiles - Preparing the floor?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fpillager

I'm installing some carpet tiles in a rented office. The previous tenant did me the favor of ripping up the existing carpet and pad, and there is a wood subfloor, but over that (under the carpet pad) was some sort of black stuff that looks like tar paper. I am not going to be able to get all of it off. It feels kind of dusty in places, and I'm concerned the carpet tiles won't stick to it well. I need some advice on how to proceed. I thought about pulling up as much of it as I can and then trying the tiles on top, or perhaps putting some sort of primer down over the black stuff. Thoughts?

What kind of tile-who is the manufacturer? Some tile are installed with adhesive dots, some recommend just gluing every 9 feet in a grid and leaving the center float. Different strokes for different folks. You my be just able to go over the tar paper if that is what it is, and just scrub the dusty areas. I'd check with the manufacturer and see what they say.
also pictures may help.

Daris

Thanks Daris.

This is Simplicity Seamless carpet tile from Home Depot (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simply-S...in-Carpet-Tile-10-Tiles-Case-BFTRSS/203445740) . Install instructions are really minimal. Manufacturer says make sure the floor is clean and "remove or seal" old adhesives, but I'm not sure what I would seal it with or if this could be called an adhesive. These are peel and stick tiles , and it appears the entire back of the tile is sticky, so not just dots. The photo attached is not my office but an adjacent room that also had the carpet removed. My floor is identical to this.

black paper.jpg

Can't tell what the black stuff is but guessing it could be old rubber back from a previous carpet or carpet tile. Try rubbing it with your thump and see if it rolls off a little bit. If that is what it is then you have to get it up or the new peel and stick won't stick. If it isn't then I don know, it would be best to find out from the manufacturer what they recommend for a sealer that would be compatible with the tile adhesive. Remember the floor has to be virtually dust free.
But if you have a sacrificial tile you could try sticking one down over that stuff and see what happens.

Daris

Thanks all. It does not roll up. It's more like paper, and it tears like paper, but it is stuck on really, really well. I can tear up bits of it here and there, but some of it just does not want to budge. I may try a sacrificial tile, as suggested, once I get it as clean as I can get it, but I don't think there's any way it will be dust free, so maybe contacting the manufacturer for a recommended sealer would be a good plan. I greatly appreciate the advice.

Thanks all. It does not roll up. It's more like paper, and it tears like paper, but it is stuck on really, really well. I can tear up bits of it here and there, but some of it just does not want to budge. I may try a sacrificial tile, as suggested, once I get it as clean as I can get it, but I don't think there's any way it will be dust free, so maybe contacting the manufacturer for a recommended sealer would be a good plan. I greatly appreciate the advice.

Take a better, close up photo.

We can make this REAL easy for you with a little better quality info.

Most cell phone cameras belong in a dumpster somewhere in South New Jersey.

Ok, I hope these photos are a little more informative. As you can hopefully see, some pieces peel up, but there is still a residue, and in some areas, the substance just shreds when I try to get a scraper or screwdriver under it.

DSC_2924.jpg

DSC_2925.jpg

DSC_2929.jpg

"asphalt saturated" felt-------tar paper

You want that to be either gone or covered because it's petroleum based and possibly incompatible with your glue or backing material.

Try a razor scraper and spray bottle to dampen and soften the adhesive as you work. Just don't flood the floor and screw up the plywood. But a little moisture might work wonders on what looks like it might be lino paste under there.

Thanks everyone. i truly appreciate the advice. For the record, the manufacturer recommends sealing with Kilz so long as I'm pulling up any loose pieces and what remains is pretty well adhered to the floor. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks everyone. i truly appreciate the advice. For the record, the manufacturer recommends sealing with Kilz so long as I'm pulling up any loose pieces and what remains is pretty well adhered to the floor. I'll let you know how it goes.

That's not the worst idea I ever heard. There's a few better ways of dealing with it but yeah, unless I was on site, on my knees it's really hard to give the BEST advice. On the internet we can really just give you general advice and basic principles.

Good luck with the job.

Just a brief follow up, for those interested. When we started scraping up the material it became apparent that there were at least 3 different materials going on here on different parts of the floor. Some of it came up pretty easily while some of it was stuck fast. We pulled up what would come up without too much intervention, then put down the sealer over what was left. I'm happy to say the carpet tiles stuck pretty well, and I'm happy with the result. Thanks for all the advice.

Latest posts

Back