Caulking Vinyl Plank at the room threshold - See Pix

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it’s weird when the MPR is inset into the plank itself. Kinda like when someone puts an MPR at the front door, just don’t look right. One of these days I’m just going to use a round over bit on the plank itself then color match it with sharpies just to see how it looks.

How about scoring the plank from the back so you can do a return down to the floor. Maybe a 45• return instead of a 90 so it’s not a toe popper. Or bump a piece of planed down shoe mold that is stained to match.

I have often wondered about milling vinyl plank. We do it with stair noses to make them from actual planks with squared nosing but why not just do it like you are suggesting and build a drop into one. It would need backing or it would break but there is little one cant do with some heat and some love.

You called them ‘modular’ floors and I think the modular mentality can be limiting. Yes, they are modular but you have to think out of the box to get them to fit each and every situation. If you know how to make it work with wood, you now have a platform that can be adapted to work with LVP. Lots of variables but nothing that can’t be played with to improve upon from using the basic options that are currently provided.

How about getting a clean cut where the LVP will meet the header board then modifying the reducer (rip it down) to accomplish the same thing. This way it already matches.

What about if your LVP has a dark colored core. Aqua guard has a black core. Round it over, spray paint it white then color to match. You already know the techniques of shaping the material, now you just have to think about how you’re going to color match it. If you don’t like what I have to offer well then you get to use the modular option.

You can also peel back the skin of the LVP, shape the edge then wrap the skin back over to finish it off.

Anything outside of modular is custom. I present options to the customer. Customers seem to be happier with how the end result looks because they had a choice.

Latest posts

Back