CC test. To grind or not to grind?

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The vapor barrier should be directly below the slab, not the aggregate because of water intrusion into the aggregate it can become a doughboy swimming pool.
I think I misunderstood what the concrete guy was trying to describe. I'm betting he meant this, because no way would they place any membrane over a year prior to pouring the concrete. I mean, the fill material sat there for over one year before they dug in, made forms and drove piling I think I screwed up on my initial drawing. They had to place the membrane after they dug all those huge footings. oooops.:eek:

The guy from the concrete company described the membrane as "the bladder" I suspect it may be in more than one layer. The building was not hacked together. It's extremely well engineered and thought out, with moisture issues being very high on the list because of it's location.

Foundation and bladder with new descriptions.jpg

Last edited:
The museum committee spent a lot of time coming up with the idea. The general contractor had no involvement in this part of the project.......... I am guessing 99.9% of the museum's devotion to this inset map idea was the creativity and artistic layout. I don't think that the engineering or physical part of this was given much thought, because they knew that they had this super fancy membrane under the slab. I think they believed that this would eliminate any issues with their idea, so no further thought was given until I tossed rocks into the cogs of progress. :D
I don't know a lot about this concrete emissions stuff, because I never have had to deal with it................... But I do have enough smarts to get myself in hot water when asked to help on something like this. They should have known better. :D It's been a real learning experience I tell ya.
Yup, they should have gotten all parties involved a year ago so more testing could have been done earlier. Now tho, it seems to be a rush. Still gonna be a few weeks for the wood to arrive, then a week or so to acclimate it.

Take photos Hi, Make sure to get one of him.
You doubt his abilities? :D
Leveler, epoxy emission barrier and epoxy accelerator arrived today.
Here's the epoxy................... wow, that some bold claims. One coat on Sunday, the second on Monday then I'll assist with the pouring a few hours later. ..............we're mixing outside. Hey Darol, do me a good weather dance, OK? :D
http://www.uzin.us/products/product-search/details/uzin-pe-460-moisture-vapor-retarder-13135/

The epoxy moisture systems work.

If you read all the waivers and BS in their warranty you might get scared off thinking (correctly) that you could never satisfy their paperwork.

But in the end the products stop moisture damage to the finished flooring.

We've only had failures or problems from EGREGIOUS neglect, by that I mean absurd extremes with regard to following basic instructions. If you even come close to meeting the specs there's an incredibly small chance of problems.

I appreciate that info. I told the tech/rep from UZIN the cc test came back at 7.4%, he didn't seem concerned.
When I emailed him a couple days later and mentioned that I was thinking of doing an additional moisture test (insitu) He replied back then next morning with strong wording saying that "there is no need for any additional testing"
That's a bold statement, and reading up on that epoxy............. I'm impressed.
I wonder what two, 2 1/2 gallon units of it cost, plus two bottles of accelerator? $500?

Probably in the restroom, in view of the urinal.:D
If the pour turns out as well as I suspect, my name will will be on a gold plaque and (should) include the following.............. "The man who saved our map project from being a total disaster" ;)
I'm also expecting a parade in my honor............ with free booze at the reception. :D
They were initially going to pour the self leveler, then use a 1 part adhesive/moisture blocker........ I recall it's Taylor's MS+ and then glue down unfinished solid 3/4" oak into this 10 by 13 on grade concrete inset with no expansion gap. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back