Choosing a wood supplier for pine flooring project

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobP

Hi there everyone, I am finally going to tackle a flooring project for a family cabin in the SoCal mountains. I want to do 6 to 8" wide, 3/4" square edge throughout the main floor. I am wondering if there is any advice on finding the best wood/supplier for the planks. I know to stay away from the big box suppliers like Home Depot/Lowes, however, there are multiple lumber suppliers locally who are all about the same cost for the materials. Any tips on things to ask for or how to choose a supply store? Thanks in advance for any help!

What Rusty said is true. Wide boards need a more stable environment. All wood likes a stable environment, it's just more of an issue the wider the board.
If it's possible, it would be nice to check out the monthly humidity averages for each month of the year to see how wide a range you have.
If this cabin is unheated while you aren't there then the wood will grow/shrink/warp.
What will or will not happens depends on the range of humidity throughout the year. Check that out if you can. You might be ok.

Virginia Hardwoods in Azusa is where I go for all my hardwood questions. They are a wholesale only outfit, but there are ways to get your product there and they are very knowledgeable with their products.

Excellent advice, Thanks for the tips on width, I didn't realize this, but it makes total sense. Cabin is in San Bernardino mountains, elevation 7800ft. Humidity varies a lot from extremely dry in winter to hot and moderate humidity in summer. I definitely want the rustic look/feel so imperfections are not an issue, but warping or cupping would be bad. Thanks @havasu for the tip on Virgnia Hardwoods, I'll check them out!

Wood can warp in a lived in home that's always heated if the wood wasn't acclimated to the heated interior. Warm and dry inside and humid under the floor and outside will/can do that.
However if the inside and outside humidity are equal most of the time, or most of the year while you aren't there....... I don't see so much of a problem because summer to winter, humidity swings inside and outside the cabin would probably be the same.
The boards would still expand and contract as the seasons change but maybe not warp.

Last edited:
Wood can warp in a lived in home that's always heated if the wood wasn't acclimated to the heated interior. Warm and dry inside and humid under the floor and outside will/can do that.
However if the inside and outside humidity are equal most of the time, or most of the year while you aren't there....... I don't see so much of a problem because summer to winter, humidity swings inside and outside the cabin would probably be the same.
The boards would still expand and contract as the seasons change but maybe not warp.
All wood contracts and expands some, even 2x4 studs in the wall.

All wood contracts and expands some, even 2x4 studs in the wall.
I've never gotten so bored to check. 😁
If the inside/outside humidity is always equal, the difference between wide planks versus narrow planks shrinking and growing from Summer can be best visualized by this scenario.
If a 2 inch board shrinks 1/32nd" it's barely noticeable. The gap between two boards would be 1/16" between them... a little bit noticeable.

An 8" plank would shrink 4 times that much or 1/8", so that two 8" planks next to each other would have a 1/4" gap between them... pretty noticeable.
That said, in a "cabin" that might add to the rustic cabin appeal.

Latest posts

Back