Chrysler

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floorist

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Pro
Ok, still having issues with the 2000 Chrysler 300 M. Put a new battery in 2 weeks ago. Alternator voltage is 14.5 when running, normal according to book. If I drive it daily, seems to be ok. Had been sitting 2 days, turn the key, nothing. Check batt voltage 12.5, Put the charger on for a few minutes, clicks a couple times and then starts. Has started 10-12 times since then, no problem. Parasitic draw test was normal, last time I checked it. Starter? Intermittent short? The starter would be awful to pull, just to get it checked. If I turn the headlights on, they dim a little when it is starting and then go back to normal. Any ideas? I honestly cannot afford to get it worked on. Starter from a parts store is around $200. $68 on E bay.
Trying to work on it between storms.

I would check your cables and connections to see if anything is loose or corroded. When it won’t start do you try and jiggle stuff to see if that makes a difference? Maybe a bad section of battery cable or something that isn’t readily seen and obvious.

I would check your cables and connections to see if anything is loose or corroded. When it won’t start do you try and jiggle stuff to see if that makes a difference? Maybe a bad section of battery cable or something that isn’t readily seen and obvious.
Most of it is impossible to access. I have it up on ramps and can't get to the starter.

I had a Datsun years ago that would occasionally act up and not start. I would jiggle the battery cable and it would start. Turned out I had a bad section of cable. It was a simple fix once I figured out what the problem was.

My van has been makin noise for years when I hit bumps. My middle leaf on my spring pack is broken and I thought I was gonna have to get new leaf springs to fix the noise. I got my back brakes done the other day and I’ll be damned if the noise isn’t gone now. Just goes to show you never know what you’re dealing with.

Hope you get it figured out before you decide to launch the car off a cliff. But if you do decide to send it you can make a vacation out of it and go to Alaska for the 4th of July.

Had a FFFFFord P?U once that when you stepped on the brake pedy letal it would blow a fuse.So after abunch of thinking I figured it had to be one of the tail lights. Pulled the right one first and there the culprit was a wire with a split in it that was touching metal. Was I ever glad it was the right one beccause I'm right handed and couldn't do squat with my left hand.

Had an issue like that with a Ford van. It was drawing juice from somewhere but couldn’t figure out where. Had my local repair shop try too. They couldn’t find it. Ended up putting a toggle switch inside the van to disconnect power when not in use. That worked for many years as long as I remembered to switch it off when not in use.

Most of it is impossible to access. I have it up on ramps and can't get to the starter.
You just described why I'm not going to tell you to check the hot lead to the starter. The nut came loose on mine, on my old 1973 Chevy stepside.
I'm assuming the only leads that you can get to would be the battery terminals themselves and possibly the ground cable?

I just reread what you typed and you said the battery read 12.5 volts.
If you checked it tomorrow morning, would read close to that. If so there shouldn't be any problems starting it.
When the battery in my S10 gets down the 12.3 volts it cranks much slower even though I have a reduction gear starter. 12.4 is better. My batteries only got 550 cold cranking amps and it's over two and a half years old. I bought a battery desulfator that is continually connected to the battery. I put that on a few months ago because the battery was having a hard time holding a charge. It seems to be doing what it's supposed to do and now I'm wishing I haven't bought a new battery.... back in December. 😖
On the bright side I've kept the new battery charged up with a tiny 850 mah Battery Tender so it shouldn't be degrading well at sits there taking up space in my carport.
https://www.ecosoch.com/lead-acid-battery/

That was the wrong link I just posted because it's aimed at "Sunny people" with solar power.
A regular car battery is best kept closer to a full charge.

I started buying most of my starters alternators etc at O'Reilly's because most all of their products have a lifetime guarantee.

Latest posts

Back