Church carpet

Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional

Help Support Flooring Forum - DIY & Professional:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pipe organ ! And rolling out the red cpt. Every time I go into the brothers shop I see another specialty backed / cushiond cpt. Does anyone do dblstk anymore ?

This was an awful build no layer between primary backing and the foam , which wouldn’t be an issue if a level loop or similar , but it was a cut loop or low plush so the seams has to be made without touching them lol 😂

Dixieland Methodist Church lakeland Florida
Shaw special made carpet with pad attached

https://rumble.com/vhymr5-dixieland-methodist-church.htmlDixieland Methodist Church
That's some beautiful work. I wish I had chosen the carpet. I'm picking a plaid, or something with large triangles to make the installation more fun. 😁
I've always hated doing commercial work. The world is a good place because of people like you doing this kind of work.

That's some beautiful work. I wish I had chosen the carpet. I'm picking a plaid, or something with large triangles to make the installation more fun. 😁
I've always hated doing commercial work. The world is a good place because of people like you doing this kind of work.
This was after a week of demo. The normally reasonable salesman, wo has delivered unto me many thousands of footage of top shelf jobs , gave me a week for this entire church sanctuary. It included a balcony but no stage that is all maple hardwood put in by the organ company.
The demo involved horse hair padding NAILED with roofing nails installed pre 1950. We exposed a stunning 1 1/2” oak floor they snubbed their noses at.
All that new vinyl trim you see replaced three or four installs of various makes of pin metal in between each pew, and everywhere there was that old 9” Kentile. (Probably hiding a layer of asbestos laden cutback)
We did the right thing, that old metal looked like a team of morons had started at opposite ends of the building and well it was awful so, we actually had to carefully cut each one so they lined up, I’m OCD but sheesh those old Methodist bitties you know they’re gonna whine forever so we just did what we usually do and zapped it perfect and haven’t been back since.

Side note: when faced with a huge labor bill for time, Shaw made us enough of the same material WITHOUT pad so we could wrap those bullnose steps and even then my shop sent two of their hourly guys to do it when it came in. Lol I’m not bulldozing 53” steps with padded rug for less than what they wanted to pay, or something like that so I got out of the rest. It was taking almost an hour per step with padded goods.

Since Mark and I sometimes share a brain.... 😊 :p :eek:

@highup rebonds for double glue are kind of dicey. There are a couple out there but the trouble is getting one dense enough as opposed to a slab rubber. We handled a rebond for a while that could be used for doublebond installations but we had mixed results. If the application had rolling loads (like a funeral home for example) it would just cause the pad to delaminate and eventually you'd start seeing wrinkles in the carpet where it had released. In a lighter application they were fine, but if I'm making the recommendation it's going to be slab rubber pad over a rebond all day.

The last double stick I did was for Publix credit union we used a fiber pad with a heavy plastic fused to one side similar to a rebound pad construction.
The job was fine until we did the main lobby section and it had a sidematch in the main seam so they rejected it.
The maker paid the claim and in the process of replacing that color the other installation crew made some boo boos and they ended up ripping the entire thing out and putting conventional carpet tile down.
My solution on day one was 2” architectural strip and commercial pad combined with a Crain senior power stretched.

@highup rebonds for double glue are kind of dicey. There are a couple out there but the trouble is getting one dense enough as opposed to a slab rubber. We handled a rebond for a while that could be used for doublebond installations but we had mixed results. If the application had rolling loads (like a funeral home for example) it would just cause the pad to delaminate and eventually you'd start seeing wrinkles in the carpet where it had released. In a lighter application they were fine, but if I'm making the recommendation it's going to be slab rubber pad over a rebond all day.
Got that brother. Most rebond does not have the density or stability for a double stick. I mean hell the adage is more truthful in double stick than stretch that if it feels good to you it isnt good for your carpet. We use a lot of crumb rubber for double stick with excellent results. I have this theory that once the carpet glue oozes its way into a crumb rubber pad that stuff is bullet proof.

The 1/4-in pad that I'm referring to is quite dense in design specifically for double stick. I think that it was black on one side and silver on the other. I can't remember I don't really care because I don't do double stick and commercial work anyway. 😁
...... Oh crap I'm on a commercial job. 😲

I'll add one more thing on the super thin carpet being put in 40 foot long the foyer area. It mates up to 10 ft of tile near the front door and four rooms that are 36 in wide that also have the same tile. The combined tile height is about 3/4 of an inch.
The downstairs is concrete and it's been decided they are going to put quarter inch thick Kerdi on that whole area to bring the height up, then do a direct glue down with no pad.
Upstairs is still going to be stretched in and going in over synthetic fiber pad. Being the carpet is super thin, I am thinking 32 oz might be better than 40 oz.

Latest posts

Back